Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
anjenki75

@MrLizard I have a similar background and had the same thoughts when I read their support article about the architecture. I think what they mean about the problems of the multi-layered architecture is simply that they have to communicate across multiple organisations to get something fixed, and it takes AGES.

You've got the hardware manufacturers and their low-level libraries, especially the SoC stuff to do with media playback. Then you've got Android, then you've got YouView, which is a whole other organisation to partner with and compliance process to go through, not to mention app developers. None of that is an excuse to release poor-quality products. If you can't deliver on your ambitions, reign in your ambitions.

I agree with your assessment that Sony's software divisions are seriously deficient. Something bad is going wrong and if I were senior management I would be looking at that function as a major risk to the company. The various departments seem to be very poorly connected and their software development methodologies seem to be in need of update. Or at the very least, the bits we can see - no release notes? Really? Either new direction or new investment (or both) is likely needed. You can see this not only in the firmware, but for example their websites. The support site is down frequently, and on the forums every time I try to post and then log in I get a "file not found" plaintext error. It's all very poor. Need I also mention the very poor security practice that has come to light recently. About the only bit that seems to work is the playstation software, but I imagine that is a separate division anyway.

anjenki75

By the way @SDCEGavster I doubt your art director friend has much at all to do with the software part. Sony is a massive company. I rather suspect even that the video processing part of the software is completely disconnected from the OS and UI levels too. Sony's hardware and hardcore processing software seem fine still, but the team that develops the user-facing parts have been handed a massive project using a set of technologies and working practices they are probably not at all used to dealing with.

DaM3k0n

@Triswillmott wrote:
Cheers for the edit, oversight on my part..

It's just over a month old, but Currys are stubborn as always. Doesn't help the fact that this to was a direct replacement for my other Sony tv that I claimed sales of good act warranty replacement on.
Going to see what the outcome of sonys investigation and firmware updates are, if no improvement then I'll be pushing full steam ahead with a SOGA return.

You could argue that it simply goes to prove that this range of sets has fundamental flaws!

I really dont know what to do, as to be fair, Iv not really experience too many issues, the odder stutter in the OS, although Plex was doing some strange stuff last night....  I just cant rely on Sony to deliver what I thought I was getting when I bought the set, in a timely manner.

Im so tempted to put my hands in my pocket and go with the Panasonic CX802B.. although I would then also need to buy something else to handle Plex, but Ive had my eye on the Nvidia Shield STB for a while, so this would easily solve this problem, and more!

SDCEGavster

@anjenki75 wrote:

By the way @SDCEGavster I doubt your art director friend has much at all to do with the software part. Sony is a massive company. I rather suspect even that the video processing part of the software is completely disconnected from the OS and UI levels too. Sony's hardware and hardcore processing software seem fine still, but the team that develops the user-facing parts have been handed a massive project using a set of technologies and working practices they are probably not at all used to dealing with.

Thanks anjenki75.

It's OK, I know exactly which departments deal with what at Sony. 

My ex-colleague is purely product design. As I was purely visual communication and brand. Our other team was UI. As you quite rightly suggested, video processing and software are strictly engineering and not within our remit. I'm only converying what he knows.

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hello everyone,

On behalf of Sony, I can confirm that we are very much aware that certain features and services of our new TV models are not available yet, or functioning as intended.

We sincerely apologise to those affected for not having delivered these features and services to you yet.

Naturally, our commitment is to bring you the highest quality possible in our products. For this reason, since there have been unexpected issues encountered in the development of certain features, regrettably we’ve had to delay their rollout.

However, of course we want to keep you updated, so we recommend you check regularly our Customer Support site, where the latest information from Sony on this subject will be posted. Here are some relevant links:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/android-tv-features

Please rest assured that we are working as hard and as rapidly as possible to ensure you get the most out of your experience with Sony’s Android TV.

Once again, we’re really sorry for the inconvenience caused by the delays, we thank you for your patience, and we’ll keep you updated.

With kindest regards
Peter

andrewsoong

Peter drew the short straw! Hope you get to go home early.

Twobins

Peter - will customers so affected be offered compensation of any sort? I'm aware that some members paid full price for their televisions - a high price for their Sony loyalty considering these TVs are now heavily discounted. I was lucky, got mine at a discount and was later able to return it for a full refund. The picture was great and I would consider buying again if these problems could be sorted out. It doesnt seem fair that those who were most loyal to Sony are the ones who have suffered the most.

lesking70

I'd like to echo the last post, some compensation?  I pre ordered my tv at 1800 from Sony direct, such was trust in the brand, now a few months down the line it's a 1000, that is a massive reduction in price, I am grateful for the apology but it smacks a bit when you can get the tv's so cheap now, and late arrivals to this party got a free ps4 Controller, all we got from our purchase was free disappointment 

scoopy6

Yes, we were satisfied until the delays and problems were finally acknowledged. By that time the anticipated date for an upgrade had already expired, as had the time for a trouble free return. I guess it is not a coincidence that, in mid July when the Summer upgrade was still expected and we bought our Tv, the price remained 22% higher than it was last week.

49X8309C in uk
alfonzobonzo

I (we) design digital recording equipment for the film industry, We dont sell anything untill both the hardware and software have been tested and proved reliable. Sony's approach is shocking to say the least. I really dont care that they are having problems delivering their promises. The time to have problems and sympathy are pre general release. Not afterwards at the expense of the end user.