Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Deedie
Explorer

no mention of fixing the sound drop out when using external surround systems. thats my biggest issue at the moment

Sometimes in PLEX or when I've connected my pc with HDMI, I get a extremely
high buzzing sound out of the speakers, it only last a second and comes
randomly, but I scares me, my other half and our bird half to death EVERY
TIME
alfonzobonzo

24th December... A great day to bury bad news.

call me cinical

scoopy6

...or a Merry Christmas from Sony

call me optimistic

49X8309C in uk
DaM3k0n

The architectural design for Sony’s Android TV is constantly evolving and incorporates a multi-layered approach. Due to its unique and complex ecosystem, bugs are inevitable. Android TV, like any device that works with an operating system (smartphone, tablets, PC, etc.) requires constant updates to improve the stability, functionality and usability. Our firmware updates are designed to mitigate any issues that arise, and provide these improvements. We strongly recommend you keep your system updated with the latest firmware and use our support website for further news.

...had to pick myself up off the floor after reading that one! 

To be honest, reading that article has just convinced me to send the TV back!

profile.country.GB.title
ricsmith5

got so fed up with the sound dropping out on words like a bad version of Norman Collier that I hooked up my sony soundbar 371 to my 49x9307c with the optical link only instead of the hdmi one and problem solved  - sound wise that is. no more dropped parts of word but should not have to do this, 60 days left with JL to return if not satisfied so time is ticking for sony to resolve all the issues or another set is coming back their way.................

DaM3k0n

Good old Richer Sounds.. had the TV for 4 weeks now, and they are actually going to come and collect it from me and give me a full refund.. now thats Customer Service.. reading this Sony???

andrewsoong

One good thing about the trouble they're clearly having with Youview is it might mean a lot of the pre-installed bloatware will have to be taken out in order for Youview to work properly. That would be a good thing.

MrLizard

"The architectural design for Sony’s Android TV is constantly evolving and incorporates a multi-layered approach. Due to its unique and complex ecosystem, bugs are inevitable."

Speaking as a technical architect, with many years of experience in software architecture, it would appear that Sony have achieved the highly undesirable state of Maximum Coupling. A multi-layered architecture should reduce bugs because code is inherently more testable. The interfaces are cleaner, hence it becomes much easier to integrate automated unit and integration test frameworks. That way you can be sure your QA team get something that is more likely to work.  The suggestion that this approach make software issues "inevitable" is therefore a major concern. Frankly, it means that the design needs a rethink.

"Android TV, like any device that works with an operating system (smartphone, tablets, PC, etc.) requires constant updates to improve the stability, functionality and usability. Our firmware updates are designed to mitigate any issues that arise, and provide these improvements. We strongly recommend you keep your system updated with the latest firmware and use our support website for further news."

I strongly recommend that Sony actually ship these updates! I would happily accept a monthly drop of bug fixes and incremental updates. Big Bang releases are always bad news. They always overrun, and by the time they ship it's normally too late anyway.

It appears to me that Sony just aren't investing in their development team. This looks like yet another software project going to the dogs because the deadlines were unrealistic and the dev team either wasn't big enough or lacked the right skills. It is Sony's senior management who should be held accountable for this project's problems. They clearly do not understand who or what they are managing, otherwise they'd have given the project the support it needs.

cozzykim

@MrLizard

"I strongly recommend that Sony actually ship these updates! I would happily accept a monthly drop of bug fixes and incremental updates. Big Bang releases are always bad news. They always overrun, and by the time they ship it's normally too late anyway."

+100 - Ship them, let us test them, then fix the bugs.

We're currently a bit of a nightmare, let us be an asset?