Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
elraouk

Does anyone have the X90 model?

Went to John Lewis yesterday with my wife, to look for a replacement for our 43X83C and 49X83C, but the only TVs she liked the look of were the Sony's!  She really liked the 55X90 and that is the only model she would consider in 55"

Am going to assume this has the same issues with the software that the others do, and most likely the same dual core processor as the X83C?  Would be good to know if the performance was any better on the higher end model (god forbid they use a higher end processor...).

Does anyone know if Samsung have an equivalent to the X1 chip?  Am just wondering if they use any of the main processor's power for any of the video processing; or have dedicated hardware like Sony's X1?  Might explain why Sony thought a dual core (just to run android) would be enough (but still don't understand why not go with a quad for the couple of $$ difference!!); and why Samsung's SUHD TVs have octo core processors and the UHD have quad cores.  If Tizen is the same on both TVs, then you shouldn't need a different processor for the higher models - unless it is purely to improve OS performance (Sony - take note ;))

I could live with Android if it was a little snappier, they allowed for home screen customisation, sorted out the Lip Sync, sattelite EPG worked and PLEX worked a little better.

If we bought the 55X90 then would be from JL, so would have 90 days for Sony to sort out the software; but it is £1499 (with £300 trade in) - so a big purchase!

daknigh36
Explorer

I had the 55x930 and returned it for a Samsung 65js8500 and to be honest I couldn't be happier. Easily on a par picture quality wise and the Tizen os is way better than the Android on the Sony (I.e. It actually works!).

Dubious going from Sony (who was have always bought it n the past) to the Samsung but it has proven to be a fantastic decision.

elraouk

Is a shame Samsung took the decision to make curved TVs in the 8xxx and 9xxx ranges as I don't buy in to the curve (especially in a 55").

I also don't like the far thicker bezel on the Samsung, compared to Sony / Panasonic and LG; it is also cheap looking in comparison.  We spent a while in JL last night examining the Bezels last night, as my wife is more concerned about how the TV looks than how it performs!!

Like I said, it is a shame as Tizen offers a lot of the features that Android doesn't (i.e. customisation); has a good PLEX app and some of the Samsung models have proper Freesat - all plus points.

daknigh36
Explorer

The curve is a weird one, I mean I don't notice it at all-good or bad.

the bezel on mine is pretty thin plus I totally disagree it looks cheaper, the 8500 looks and is a premium tv. It's horses for courses I guess.

andrewsoong

Does anyone with a Samsung know if it can passthrough DD5.1 from HDMI to optical?

I have a Sonos Playbar and that was the main reason for getting the Sony - They mostly all do. But not many others seem to.

elraouk

To be fair, we were looking at the Bezels on the 7000 as these are the highest spec flat TVs with freesat. 

They have gone for a 3D picture frame style bezel, which adds chunk and also means there is a bevel join and, in the ones we looked at, the top/bottom/sides didn't join particularly well (a mm or so gap between them) - hence the cheap look!

Samsung 7 series:

6 series is flatter, but more plasticy looking material.

I do remember the 8 and 9 series having a brushed steel look bezel, which looked better and were a solid piece, not joined; but still thicker (consiserably) than the Sonys

stoolzo

@andrewsoong wrote:

Does anyone with a Samsung know if it can passthrough DD5.1 from HDMI to optical?

I have a Sonos Playbar and that was the main reason for getting the Sony - They mostly all do. But not many others seem to.

you'd be better asking this on a samsung thread surely....

profile.country.GB.title
mickwileman
Explorer

I have always been a Sony person but these android tvs have reall put me off i have just exchanged mine for a Panasonic TX-65CX802B,and i am blown away with it has quad core powered by Firefox and works has freeview play and works also the freesat version works as well record to external Hard Drive works as well fast snappy menues very thin bezel picture better than the Sony also plays USB Files straight away in other words anyone thinking of a replacement TV look at this one,anda very nice looking TV as well,they do smaller screen sizes,look at Panasonic site for full specs,also has two nice remotes as well.

profile.country.GB.title
mickwileman
Explorer
stoolzo

Thats a full £1000 more expensive than the Sony at 65 inches, I tested the 3D on that one in PCworld and it was XTALK city mate, has it got any better with firmware updates?