Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
t1mmm9879
Explorer

At least people are getting updates!!!

That is the main thing, I'm sure it won't be long until we get ours. 

scoopy6

Kel520

Re. "....I've just ordered another... remote... Rii K28 5 in 1 2.4GHz RF Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad..." thanks. Hope that will work ok with Sony Tv, because some hints in user reviews suggested to me that it might not. btw I am checking for any spare Sony commands with JP1 because a universal remote such as URC6440 set up for the Tv suits us fine for controlling Kodi, except for those missing commands on the original remote. Will report any progress, and also if the bluetooth one I ordered works:

Cooper Cases(TM) Magic Wand...

49X8309C in uk
elraouk

Some of the early blogs reported that the Sony Android TVs would be running the MediaTek MT5595; which is a quad core of sorts (2x A7 and 2x A17); however various people have reported it is actually an MT5890 which is a dual core (2x A17).

DaM3k0n

There msut be an app available, or even Kodi should be able to identify what CPU is onboard... any Kodi users out there able to confirm the cpu??

Shodney

I just double checked mine (55x8509c) and it's reporting a MediaTek mt5890, so either:

a) Benchmarking apps are reporting it wrong (possible), or

b) Sony changed their minds and put a cheaper CPU in

It's possible that the quad-cores are being used in the higher end models (900+) - I haven't seen any reports from those.

DaM3k0n

Hmm.. thats fkn annoying then.. and another naiil in the coffin!  I can see my set going back before the 90 days is up... Might try  "AIDA64" from the store....(as posted in an earlier part of this thread)

Just a pit Nvidia Shield Set Top Box has yet to be released in UK, otherwise Id just get this and bin the TV.. I could alwyas buy a US one, but not sure what limitations it may have, with access to certain things, or even updates etc.

elraouk

Maybe that's why the software doesn't work properly, its running on the wrong chip!
dataghost
Explorer

I remember the day I pulled this TV out of its packaging and a little slip of paper fell out which advises you on how to hard reboot the TV using the power button on the remote.  I kind of had a feeling that this was a foreshaddowing of things to come that they felt the need to include this.

Also in addidtion to my long list of 'cons' on the other page, the other issue I get a lot is when I want to switch HDMI inputs (say between the PS4 and Xbox) the TV.  Sometimes the TV finds this to be a mammoth task that requires sitting with a blank screen for ages and not responding to the source button on the remote.  Very often to slap the TV out of its state of complete confusion, I have to turn it off and back on again.  Shocking to think that it struggles with the most BASIC of tasks that TV's from years ago could do in a split second.

Buying a 55" 4k TV was a big descision for me and it took some convincing to get the missus to agree.  Needless to say Ive not been able to justify the purchase with all these problems.  I can only assume the update is taking so long because Sony realise there is a LOT of things that are broken.  Its certainly put me off Sony and in future I will thoroughly research the perfomance of the operating system on any potentional 'smart' TV purchase.

Ezhan1

I would prefer incremental updates every week. I have to restart the TV every day to get WIFI work... And the bad thing no

And the processor thing sucks... Yesterday I tried to install www.katrinatv.ru IPTV app. It is useless on this TV - lags every 2 seconds. On the HTC One M8 it is fine, so I assume it is the lack on processor performance.

dataghost
Explorer

Well either that or Android needs to be optimised for these TV's.

If they sort out the lag in the OS we may find that a lot of the apps will then run properly.