Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
scoopy6

Kel520, interesting that you tried Kodi. We found that, with this quick setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3ijoO1rMg works better than our XBMC 'quadcore' boxes.

The basic Sony remote controls most things in Kodi and noted that the digit keys do work in the virtual keyboard. Unfortunately the mouse On/Off, alphabet for searching, and particularly 'c' or 'menu' for the Context Menus, are missing from the remote. Do you know of a workaround please?

e.g. Have you looked at the Kodi Keymap Editor and could you advise how to use it?

49X8309C in uk
dataghost
Explorer

Id say most of the issues ARE down to Android, not the platform itself as such, more the fact that it needs to be optimised and bug fixed for this TV.

The other issue may be an under powered processor in the TV, however a well optimised OS can often overcome these kind of issues (it wont nessesarily get intensive games to run well though).

HairyFool

Personally I am not that interested in games (plenty of other devices that do that function better) but what annoys me more is basic functionality. I don't even watch Netflix but if they put a dirty great button on the remote promoting the service it should work properly.

My biggest gripe, the guide. Yes there are other ways to find program information but again there is a guide button, it should work and I want to find out what is on 2 or 3 times a day sometimes so repeatedly hit this problem

Second is the Home interface. I want it to show what I use every day in the 1st instance and get rid of the junk from view. Everybody would have their own preference but why is it not editable? It's software, anything can be changed.

profile.country.GB.title
Kel520

Scoopy6,

Yeah, I'm using the built in ap of kodi and its works just fine for most stuff with the latest kodi download.

Trouble is I think, there is a 3D option in the side menu when using a hdmi source or watching Sky/ freeview through the general satalite source. However when watching anything in Kodi,when entering the side menu, the option of 3D suddenly disappears. Even going back to set as 3D in any of the tv sources still doesnt set it in 3D mode when going back into kodi.

As for control over Kodi, the touch remote and standard remote are prity useless for navigation I find.

And as I think you mentioned, closing down pop up menus etc having to use "back" all the time is a software issue and a pain in the **** that Sony would yet again say its not there responsibility over any app in fact that may not work how one might expect. But they put it in there !?

Having said that, I'm at least grateful that it's there in the first place, makes up for a lot of other niggles over functionality of this TV. If it wasn't It would have been sent packing.

I use the Duelshock in Kodi. However I've just ordered another type remote you might find also useful

Rii K28 5 in 1 2.4GHz RF Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Fly Mouse LED Backlit Audio Feature, Multi-media Portable Handheld Android Keyboard With Rechargerable Battery For PC Raspberry PI MacOS Linux HTPC IPTV Smart TV Android Box XBMC Windows: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This way I will be able to navigate easier, use the keypad for input etc etc...hopefully.

Using the mirror feature of the TV, via my laptop,via google chrome,to enable voice search to share web content easier with the Mrs. And that's the BIG PAIN IN THE **** with this TV at the moment, is that you seem to have to work around things and add things to get it to do, what really should be there in the first place.
I have the X930, the reviews were great, but without me realising, them concentrating too much on black levels and brightness levels blar blar blar blar without the mentioning the overall functionality of it.
I'm 50% disappointed  and like many people hoping this month's update will sort a lot of everyone's problems out.
Fundamental flaw is the TV GUIDE common place and the most basic funtion of any TV and they havent even got that right... sales guy in shop said... ah yeah you can connect direct via sat dish from the back of TV to watch freeview....great I thought (as I've no anntena) didnt mention there would be no TV guide to speak of.????????????????????? HELLO ?????? ANYONE THERE??? Sony guy said you'd have to get a freesat box !!!! Ah yeah... How stupid of me to think it should funtion properly without one !! HELLO????? YOU STILL THERE???  Perhaps if I brought one, spending another 100 quid or so..... stripped it down...took the decoder out ..took the back off the TV ....stuck the decoder somewhere...... It would work wouldnt it ?? Surely ??!!  COS I DONT WANT ANOTHER ******* BOX !

Heckie

Hi everyone.

I have been reading the thread for a while, and in the end I decided to buy one (X80c), and so far I havent had any problems.

One thing though, does everyone know that if you hold down the power button on your remote for 10 seconds, it will reboot android?

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@Heckie

Yup, it is used on a regular for me. But I have noticed that a few setting need to be adjusted again after! the TV does not seem to remember them.

For me, they are...

Clear Audio, need to turn it back off because there is a slight hissing/crackling noise on any TV program, usually when someone is talking.

Auto (24p), although the setting is showing as I set it, it is actually just Auto. So I have to select Auto, then back to the 24p.

Dynamic Contrast, I need to change this back to off. Because like the dimming feature in ambient light mode, the screen changes light and dark depending on the brightness of the scene in the film/program. 

So if you are just rebooting Android with the long press of the power button on the remote, be aware that maybe any settings you made prior, may not be how you set them after the reboot!

profile.country.GB.title
nickbaker66
Explorer

Chaps don't know if will fix you're keyboard issues with kodi as I've never got round to using them but there are apps on the play store you can download to your Android phone apologies don't know if there are appple versions 

Try these 

Yatse 

Kore 

As I say can't confirm they work as I've not used them yet but hopefully is a workaround 

Shodney

Android TV as a platform is fine - go buy a Nexus Player, or any one of a number of set-top boxes, and it's smooth, responsive, and bug-free.

The problem is down to Sony's *implementation* of Android TV. Just take a look of the background processes - you'll see a ridiculous number of Sony background processes doing... who knows what. All sat there, constantly running in the background, sucking up memory and CPU cycles. There's things like the social plugin - you know, the social stream you get when you press action button? The one that I've never once seen working? Yeah, that's constantly sat there in the background, eating resources, and for something that doesn't even work.

And, as you pont out, it doesn't help that they cheaped out with a 2-year old dual core CPU.

This TV is a disaster.

DaM3k0n

I thought is was a dual core cpu, but someone told me about this...

Mediatek Quad Core CPU

"The Ultra HD platform uses MediaTek's MT5595 SoC and enables streaming and casting of Ultra HD content. The MT5595 is a quad-core SoC, and supports Google's VP9 and HEVC codecs for 4K content streaming at 60 frames per second. Devices powered by the SoC should become available to consumers beginning in March 2015."

Shodney

The US got another update yesterday:

Improvements over version PKG2.463.0017NAB:

• Improves general software quality of the TV

So we're 2 updates behind now. I can only guess that the YouView functionality is giving them trouble, which is why it keeps getting pushed back.

I hope it comes sooner than later. I've had to re-wire my TV cabinet so that this TV is on it's own, switched, easy to access socket, because I was sick of pulling out the cabinet to unplug every few days. Even the 'hold the power button to reboot' failsafe doesn't work 90% of the time.