Join now - be part of our community!

Why can't I upload movies from my Nex-5 to my imac computer?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
lovemycamera2010
Visitor

Why can't I upload movies from my Nex-5 to my imac computer?

Can someone please help me?

Can't fault the camera, I absolutely love it!

The only problem is I can upload photo's but my movies won't budge from my SD card... I've got an imac with Snow Leopard... Can anyone tell me how to or at least why...

Thanks (in anticipation!)

Lynne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KenLeech
Visitor

Well, it also depends on what format you used to record the movies in.  You either used AVCHD or MP4.  If you used MP4 then you should just be able to either connect your camera to your Mac via USB (or put the card in to a card reader) and then go in to the correct folder and just drag them on to your hard drive.

If you recorded using AVCHD however, then firstly you need to be on an Intel Mac.  And you need to use an application to transfer it.  I use Final Cut Pro.  iMovie should work too.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

What program are you using to import AVCHD video?

I think you need to use iMovie and connect your NEX-5 by USB Cable.  PMB will not work on a Mac.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
addis35
New

Hi,

iMovie works fine for me using my usb sandisk MicroMate SDHC card reader. Im also using Snow Leopard.

KenLeech
Visitor

Well, it also depends on what format you used to record the movies in.  You either used AVCHD or MP4.  If you used MP4 then you should just be able to either connect your camera to your Mac via USB (or put the card in to a card reader) and then go in to the correct folder and just drag them on to your hard drive.

If you recorded using AVCHD however, then firstly you need to be on an Intel Mac.  And you need to use an application to transfer it.  I use Final Cut Pro.  iMovie should work too.

pichel3000
Visitor

I've had a similar problem. Even the latest version of iMovie doesn't play ball, but after reading some of the posts here, I suspect that iMovie import will work if you connect the camera instead of simply inserting the SD card into your Mac. I'll try this out and report back.

Workaround for me now is using a software called Handbrake, which allows you to convert to any format.

M

profile.country.no_NO.title
lisa198754
Visitor

If the recorded file is 1080 60p, you won't get it to your Mac with iMovie, FCE, FCP 5/6/7.

As far as I know FCP X 10.0.4 or above can surpports the Full HD 60p AVCHD.

Adobe Premier Pro 6.0, 6.5 may also surpport it.

In fact the 1080 60p is not a standard format, especially 1080 60p AVCHD from NEX5, it is a pain.

In my opinion, you'd better use a software to convert NEX-5 AVCHD to a Mac compatible format.