Join now - be part of our community!

No face recognition function available for Xperia 1 after Android 10 update

Boombarrush1
Visitor

No face recognition function available for Xperia 1 after Android 10 update

Where is face unlock on Xperia 1? It has disappeared after the Android 10 update.

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Jonyny
Visitor

Android 10 hasn't come to my country but I read this.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=81114929&postcount=181

If true, I probably won't update.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

It's removed because it wasn't safe and secure.

Boombarrush1
Visitor

Unfortunately it is true

Boombarrush1
Visitor

I hope Sony could do it better with the update. Anyway it was better than the ftp-scanner in Xperia 1 which is continuing disappointing.

Jonas
Master

Hello everyone!

As all of you have already noticed, Trusted face in Smart Lock feature has been removed as it is not supported in Android 10.

From what I was able to gather, it's Google that has removed it as a part of Android 10's security considerations.

The other Smart lock "features" are still around though and it's only the Trusted face feature that has been removed.

Valkarie
Visitor

Then will Sony consider coming up with this feature, which is offered by just about every cell phone manufacturer out there?  After all, it's "only" a few years behind the curve...

Jonas
Master

@Valkarie, I will make sure to forward the feedback, but I can't make any promises that a face unlocking feature will be added.

From what I understand, it's very few of them that are actually safer than a screen lock and most are just there for making it easy, but I guess that was the entire point with the one in Smart lock as well, as it even mentioned it was less safe than using a PIN, pattern or password to unlock the device.

pressefr
Contributor

It's probably mostly from the Pixel 4 face unlock with no eyes opened incident.

pixel-4-face-unlock.jpg

It didn't really work well for the longest time. I was actually going to turn it off when I realized the feature went missing and came here to see what's going on.

Jonas
Master

@pressefr, I always laugh when I see that picture, haha.

I think the Pixel 4 is using something else than trusted faces though, but to be honest, face unlocking using Smart lock has always been very insecure, so I think it's for the best that it was removed.