Join now - be part of our community!

Issue with network dropping

Clennon
Visitor

Issue with network dropping

My network coverage keeps dropping I spoke with EE my network provider. They sent me a new SIM card, this has not fixed the problem and I'm stuck for what to do. This happens at completely random times.

152 REPLIES 152
drlmiles1
Contributor

@TechZilla As discussed above, number of signal bars does not equate to how strong and good the signal strength is when comparing phones, even with the same manufacturer.

However, the problem you are having with the signal dropping completely is what many of us have reported here, and is a real ongoing problem.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Carphone Warehouse have branded Roms on their phones - I can see no evidence of that on my phone from them, and am still waiting for the update that will hopefully sort this out. I have yet to hear of any Carphone Warehouse X1 receiving the update

Chippy_boy
Visitor

@TechZilla wrote:

I am finding it annoying that some members keep stating signal bars don't mean anything. 

Annoying or not, it's true.

1:bar on phone X could be a stronger signal than 2, 3 or 4 bars on phone Y.

Therefore it is lflawed logic to look at a 1 bar signal on am XP1 and see a 3 bar signal on another phone and conclude that the XP1 has an inferior antenna.

The problems you have been experiencing are due to a bug, it's as simple as that. The XP1 works perfectly on Vodafone and XP1s bought from EE work perfectly on EE. So there is nothing wrong with the phone itself.

Unfortunately there is a problem with XP1s with stock firmware when running on the EE network. This is a firmware problem that will doubtless be fixed at some point.

Carphone Warehouse only sell XP1s with generic,stock firmware. As far as I am aware, no CPW-supplied XP1s have had the latest firmware update yet.

TechZilla
Visitor

A friend of mine bought his Xperia 1 from carphone warehouse not on contract but outright and he has received the update yesterday, so they are being updated, as for bars and signal strength explain to me then when my Xperia 1 drops to zero bars I lose all data connection? In other words I can't surf the web, stream music etc until the reception is restored which again is reflected in the bars? According to that theory then when my phone shows no bars it should still function no problems?

TechZilla
Visitor

I am confused with your reply, no where did I say the antenna was inferior on the Xperia 1 nor did I say it was a hardware fault, I actually said it is not hardware related and it's a software issue that needs to be fixed by Sony. If we know this then why has Sony not acknowledged it and provided a solution? So should I keep both handsets even though they are currently unusable in the hope Sony sends out an ota? I explained the issue with EE and the way their network runs, Vodafone doesn't use volte by default where as EE does. I don't want to return my Xperia 1 handsets but Sony is not giving me any answers nor are they offering any reassurance that an ota is imminent.

kloverton1
Visitor

I Found a Fix. 

Go to - Settings - System - Reset Options - Reset Network Settings

Helped Me. Keep in mind you'll loose all your wifi passwords and etc maybe. 

And it's not EE, I'm in Russia using Megafon. 

I Didn't have any updates - 55.0.A.2.205 

Chippy_boy
Visitor

@TechZilla wrote:

A friend of mine bought his Xperia 1 from carphone warehouse not on contract but outright and he has received the update yesterday, so they are being updated, as for bars and signal strength explain to me then when my Xperia 1 drops to zero bars I lose all data connection? In other words I can't surf the web, stream music etc until the reception is restored which again is reflected in the bars? According to that theory then when my phone shows no bars it should still function no problems?

Because there is a problem with the XP1 on the EE network, as has been explained to you at least twice already and discussed extensively over these 10 pages.

The signal should not be going from 3 or 4 bars to zero, then disconnected and then back again,for no reason. But that is what's happening.

And regards your friends phone from CPW, perhaps he's on O2 or Vodafone.

Or maybe he's mixing it up with the updates the phone does when you first set it up - don't know. But if firmware for stock XP1s had been rolled out on EE yesterday, we'd all have it by now and we have not.

Chippy_boy
Visitor

@TechZilla wrote:

I am confused with your reply, no where did I say the antenna was inferior on the Xperia 1 nor did I say it was a hardware fault, I actually said it is not hardware related and it's a software issue that needs to be fixed by Sony. If we know this then why has Sony not acknowledged it and provided a solution? So should I keep both handsets even though they are currently unusable in the hope Sony sends out an ota? I explained the issue with EE and the way their network runs, Vodafone doesn't use volte by default where as EE does. I don't want to return my Xperia 1 handsets but Sony is not giving me any answers nor are they offering any reassurance that an ota is imminent.

You must decide for yourself whether the phone is going to get a fix or not (although you assure us your friends phone has received new firmware).

It is frustrating that Sony does not acknowledge the problem or issue release notes with their firmware updates.

Personally I think a fix at some point is inevitable but whether that is in hours, days, weeks or months, I have no idea.

Ultimately a fix could be to flash the EE branded firmware, but since no-one is hosting it or providing flashing instructions yet, this may be a way off.

xenite5
New

@kloverton wrote:

I Found a Fix. 

Go to - Settings - System - Reset Options - Reset Network Settings

Helped Me. Keep in mind you'll loose all your wifi passwords and etc maybe. 

And it's not EE, I'm in Russia using Megafon. 

I Didn't have any updates - 55.0.A.2.205 

that didn't work on me.

Chippy_boy
Visitor

I imagine I'm going to want to flash the EE firmware at some point. Not only does that fix this issue, I think it's going to be necessary in order to get WiFi calling and  4G calling. And apparently EE have particular 4G bands (spectrum) which the phone is not able to use unless you have the EE firmware. So the signal strength / quality could improve in some cases as well.

JanieD91
Visitor

Dam I was gonna flash the update on mine later today, guessing from what's been said that Xperifirm doesn't have Xperia 1 yet Slightly_frowning_Face I can't check.