Join now - be part of our community!

Is xperia 1 unlocked?

SOLVED
dxter77
Visitor

Is xperia 1 unlocked?

I am not familiar with buying phone online.

I don't live in the Uk. Does xperia 1 still work out side if I bought it from UK store?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
drlmiles1
Contributor

It's not locked if you buy it from the e-store or without a contract, and I'm not sure it's even locked with a contract. It should work fine throughout Europe

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
drlmiles1
Contributor

It's not locked if you buy it from the e-store or without a contract, and I'm not sure it's even locked with a contract. It should work fine throughout Europe

Jonas
Master

Hi @dxter77, welcome to our forum and I'm glad to hear that you are interested in an Xperia 1! Slightly_smiling_Face

Just as @drlmiles wrote, the devices bought from the Xperia store are not network/carrier locked and it will work in other markets as well, as long as the network bands are supported by the operator you are planning to use it with and in some countries, the device must be officially launched there so it can be activated in the network (this seems to be pretty common in South America as far as I can tell).

Below is a list of the support bands in the Xperia 1 (both single SIM and Dual SIM versions).

• UMTS HSPA+ 2100 (Band 1), 1900 (Band 2), 1700 (Band 4), 850 (Band 5), 800 (Band 6), 900 (Band 8), 800 (Band 19) MHz
  • GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
  • LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66)

Another very important thing to know is that for you to have the device serviced within warranty, the device will need to be launched in the market where you want to have it repaired, as we do not have a Global warranty.

@drlmiles, here in the Nordics where I'm situated, I think the last operator that used to lock devices to their network is Three and they removed this last year, not sure about other markets, but network locking has always been pretty meh to be honest as it has no real use, except for keeping customers "locked" to a specific carrier.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know about your purchase @dxter77! Slightly_smiling_Face