Join now - be part of our community!

Attachment limit for sms and mms in Xperia 1

SOLVED
wicks21
Visitor

Attachment limit for sms and mms in Xperia 1

Does anyone know how to remove the attachment limit on sms/mms in the Xperia 1 ?

There's nothing in the settings menu

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jonas
Master

Hi again @wicks21!

Interesting that they told you that since it has always been like this since MMS was introduced.

"Although the standard does not specify a maximum size for a message, 300 kB and 600 kB are the recommended sizes used by networks." This information is taken directly from the wikipedia page about MMS.

I may have been wrong about a limit (there may be a hidden one in the service), but I haven't heard of any operator at least here in the Nordics that allow more than 400 kB.

Most users these days send videos and pictures using applications such as Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and so on,  where there isn't a limit, but it does require an Internet connection. This does however require that the counterpart has the same application and you have an account, so it's not as "smooth" as MMS, since this only requires you have to the phone number for the one that you want to send the files to.

I understand that it's strange when you receive two different answers, but trust me, there is to my knowledge, no setting in any smartphone device to increase the size of a MMS, it's the operator that decides the size.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jonas
Master

Hi @wicks21,

Do you mean how many files you can attach or do you want to increase the size of the total MMS? It's the network that decides how much you can send, not the device. It's normally around 400 kB since MMS is an old and slightly outdated way of sending pictures/files.

Let me know if that helps and sorry if I misunderstood your question!

wicks21
Visitor

Hi Jonas, I mean the size of the file eg a video clip etc. I contacted Telstra the network provider and they insisted it's a device issue. Strange

Jonas
Master

Hi again @wicks21!

Interesting that they told you that since it has always been like this since MMS was introduced.

"Although the standard does not specify a maximum size for a message, 300 kB and 600 kB are the recommended sizes used by networks." This information is taken directly from the wikipedia page about MMS.

I may have been wrong about a limit (there may be a hidden one in the service), but I haven't heard of any operator at least here in the Nordics that allow more than 400 kB.

Most users these days send videos and pictures using applications such as Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and so on,  where there isn't a limit, but it does require an Internet connection. This does however require that the counterpart has the same application and you have an account, so it's not as "smooth" as MMS, since this only requires you have to the phone number for the one that you want to send the files to.

I understand that it's strange when you receive two different answers, but trust me, there is to my knowledge, no setting in any smartphone device to increase the size of a MMS, it's the operator that decides the size.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Yeah, as Jonas says, it's the nework who decide on what size you can send, and also, how much they charge you to send them.

MMS, outdated feature now, plenty of other options out there.