Join now - be part of our community!

Z3 compact discharged and won't charge or boot

SOLVED
Ze_Bast
Visitor

Z3 compact discharged and won't charge or boot

Hi,

After ~2 years of really proper functionning and good care (never wet nor put in water, always in hard folding case), my Z3 compact stopped responding.

This morning, my battery was 100%. At noon, everything was alright. This afternoon, my battery suddenly dropped to 7%, so I rebooted it (in case of failing app) and set it to flight mode in order to be able to make a call in case of emergency. Unfortunately, when I tried to use it (~2 hours later), it was off.

Arriving home....

- I tried the magnetic with Sony charger => No charge/No LED

- I tried the USB with Sony charger => Red led, but no boot with power button

> Volume down + power > 15 sec. => No change

> Yellow SIM button => No change

- I tried with another USB charger => Red led but no boot

- I let it charge more than 3 hours on USB => no change, still Red, no boot

What can I try to make it work again ? Slightly_frowning_Face I was just getting into holidays tomorrow, so unlucky.

Thank you for your help !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ze_Bast
Visitor

Hi again,

It appears that I went to a repair shop and they just opened it, cleaned the electronic contacts on the power circuit and everything went well, for "only" 20 €. My battery is "new" as before, and don't have any problem.

My only concern is : if the phone is supposed to be IP67, how did the oxydation/dust come in my electronic contacts... ?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_IE.title
Liko2k
Visitor

Buy Samsung 😕 Sony z3 compact is afflicted wit some hardware bug that Sony will not aknowledge. Look for "Xperia Z3 compact sudden death" 😕 I will never again buy anything from Sony Nerd_Face

Ze_Bast
Visitor

Hi again,

It appears that I went to a repair shop and they just opened it, cleaned the electronic contacts on the power circuit and everything went well, for "only" 20 €. My battery is "new" as before, and don't have any problem.

My only concern is : if the phone is supposed to be IP67, how did the oxydation/dust come in my electronic contacts... ?

YoGem
Leader

@Ze_Bast your last question is legit, the Z3c is indeed ip67 but the time will render flaps and protections not suitable anymore to offer such certification. I have 2 Z3c and battery never fails in them but I am sure that the waterproofing is long gone after almost 3 years,  due to wear and tear.. It's absolutely normal. 

Ze_Bast
Visitor

@Yogem, except that I never used the USB charger, only the magnet one, until the malfunction... So there may be something else that fails in the protection... ?

Michael_Falcone
Visitor

Hi, everyone! I have a problem with my two years old Z3 compact. Few days ago I've noticed that the phone battery drains too fast: full-charged battery dropped to 40% during night at idle state. After few days phone just turned off and I couldn't turn it on. I've replaced the battery with a new one, the phone turned on, but after 5 hours it totaly drained the battery and not turning on again. So looks like the battery isn't the problem. I run out of ideas, does anybody know how to fix this?