Join now - be part of our community!

Zylo USB Data Cable

Not applicable

Zylo USB Data Cable

Thanks to a brilliant guy at Orange I have now established where I need to be to get the Zylo up and running. Big thanks to Jay in Customer services. I am about to purchase a DCU 60 data cable and want the genuine article so I looked at the SE site. With delivery it is around £20.00. When I looked at other sites on the web, genuine parts range from around £5.00 - £12.00, So what I am getting for the £20.00? Has anyone bought a DCU 60 via the internet and feedback please?

Lastly, this Zylo of mine has one feature that drives me nuts. Despite me trying everything, unless I keep pressing keys, the screen goes blank after around 10 secs. It is an absolute pain when I am browsing or reading/sending texts or e-mails. HELP SOMEONE. PLEASE SAVE MY SANITY.

10 REPLIES 10
Dr_Chris
Champion

That's far too much for a USB cable! Try a software update on your phone.

Not applicable

Morning Dr C,

Good to hear from you. The problem I have and it is a continual one, is that I have music etc on the PC from my old Samsung/library. The only way I can get it off our PC is via a data cable. I have already updated the software on the Zylo but no joy. Have also been advised that SE don't send out a cable with the Zylo for 'environmental reasons'. I am now past the tearing hair out and am now entering the insanity phase.

Regards

Dr_Chris
Champion

Hi there.So, can you actually view the files from your old Samsung media library on the PC? If so,you should be able to copy/paste them into the Zylo's phone memory/memory card by simple USB File transfer (also known as USB memory device and Mass storage), either directly from this old library or indirectly via another PC file/folder.You should also be able to do this via PC Companion.Unless of course, your Samsung media library is actually in an encrypted back-up file which can only be read on a mobile phone.Let me know.

Not applicable

Just got back home and read your reply.

To recap, when I or anyone buys a new Zylo from Orange it does not come with a sync/usb data cable and therefore there is no means of linking the mobile to the computer. I don't know about any other distributors standard package.

My wife went into town to the Orange Shop and they sold her a USB Charger, which was no use. I went back to Orange who have credited my account for the cost of the charger and through their help SE have confirmed that in order to link the mobile and PC so that data, e.g. music files can be transferred from our home PC to the Zylo, I need a USB Cable - DCU 60. I have seen them on the internet but am edgy about fakes especially when the price seems ridiculously low. Some of them are advertised with free software and some with a disc for downloading info on to the PC. I have contacted Carphone Warehouse who sell the Zylo. They sell a universal USB Data Cable but have told me that it is not compatible with the Zylo. My only other option is to buy a genuine data cablee from the SE web site at a cost of over £20.00 (incl delivery).

I just find it incredible that in the year 2010 a Major Manufacturer like SE will ship out a brand new model without any data cable and with incorrect information on the User Guide, e.g. PC Suite is now PC Companion and File Manager is Media Album.

I have been advised of 2 reasons why SE do not include a cable. The first is that it is the choice of Orange and the second is that SE have told Orange that it is for environmental reasons - seems that those environmental reasons would not stop SE sending the same cable to me at a cost of over £20, so I will let you make up your own mind on that one.

On the other matter of the mobile going dark/blank after about 10 secs of non-use, not doubt this is another 'environmental' feature.

So my plea to SE is this,

1. Stop messing people/customers about and from now on include a data cable as part of the standard issue to ALL distributors.

2. Update your software so that the Customer can decide when and after what time the light/screen saver comes into action. Freedom of choice and all that.

3. For coming up with these brilliant suggestions and for trying my patience, please send me a USB DCU 60, free of charge, as a sign that you are a good and caring Company.

Lastly my sincere thanks to Orange for being a caring and understanding Organisation.

Martha-
Contributor

A non-cable option would be a card reader compatible with MicroSD™.

Dr_Chris
Champion

Or a Bluetooth connection.

Not applicable

Thanks Martha for your suggestion.

As appreciative as I am, it does not detract from the fact that a Great Company like Sony Ericsson, for whatever reason, issues a brand new multi media model that is not compatible with a PC - no micro data card or USB cable provided. 

This is meant to be an up to the mark, all signing and all dancing mobile. Well it is not - not with what is included in the package and that reflects badly on Sony Ericsson to the point where it will dissuade potential customer from buying. For me these 2 omissions together with the awful 'non Customer friendly' feature of the '10 secs screen saver' imposed on the Customer by SE, means that as good as the many Apps are on the Zylo, it is a HUGELY frustrating mobile and one, with it's current set up, that I predict will be revamped sooner rather than later, to include these features because of complaints/lack of sales. So why doesn't SE knock it on the head and get it put right NOW? 

Not applicable

Hi Doc,

As always thanks for your interest.

During our conversation with Orange this morning, which was after they spoke with SE, I was advised that Bluetooth was not the answer to my issues with this mobile re data transfer, which is why I am pursuing the data cable scenario.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe everyone out there in Zylo Land thinks this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If so I am truly pleased for you and long may you enjoy the Zylo.

I just want a simple life where things are new, exciting, challenging and yet logical. For me the Zylo is new and challenging but it is not exciting and definitely not logical. As each day goes by, I am becoming more of the opinion that SE launched this too early; they were not ready but had a deadline to meet. Why else would you launch a product with incorrect information in the User Guides - paper and in the mobile itself - and then say you were in the middle of uddates? Why, in a World of information transfer does the Manufacturer not provide even a low cost version of the standard equipment to carry out this function via a PC and why in a machine where browsing/reading is high on the agenda, does it have a factory feature that cannot be altered by the User, where the screen saver kicks in after about 10 secs of non use?

Until someone can give me satisfactory answers to these points, I will say to anyone interested, that they should look behind the glossy exterior of this new mobile before spending money on one.

Dr_Chris
Champion

Despite what they said, especially given all the dis-information and lack of information regarding the Zylo, I still think it's worth trying the Bluetooth option, as even my dated Motorola can still be used for file transfer this way (just need a Bluetooth dongle for your PC, if it's not inbuilt already).When logic doesn't apply anymore, you might as well go against the grain....

Let me know what happens.

I