Join now - be part of our community!

KD43x80j latest firmware PKG6.6070.0711EUA

profile.country.GB.title
Mike-G1sbn
Explorer

KD43x80j latest firmware PKG6.6070.0711EUA

You seem to have blundered with this update or is it due to the slate screen that keeps telling me that the set is ready for the BBC1 regional HD update coming soon. The problem is with loss of sound when scrolling through the Freesat channels on the EPG list. Sometimes when a channel is then picked, its pictures appear but no sound comes with them, neither the set or the AV amp connected to it saying 'Mute' is applied and toggling this makes no difference. Sound can only appear after an indeterminant number of channels have been tried by zapping through them or sometimes going back to the EPG list and reselecting the wanted channel but that is rarely successful.

There is no problem with the Freeview EPG, sound being present all the time from the current channel being viewed during the EPG search.

Another Freesat problem is that the BBC Radio splash screens do not always appear even after many minutes. A soft restart usually cures this and the splash screen appears probably within a minute of programme restoration.

General Satellite operation for the non-Freesat channels I want such as CNN HD is partially affected by the sound loss during EPG viewing, usually muting about 7 to 10 seconds after the EPG is selected. Whether sound comes with the selected channel is still a lottery.

I also note that when the Freeview EPG is selected, the current channel displays in the top right-hand corner of the display(with sound). In both Freesat and General Satellite EPG's there is no miniature picture.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Mike-G1sbn, I was just checking another thread about the same issue. Are you using a Sky dish? Or a Sky box? If yes, have you tried contacting them? 

Also, did you try the basics? Unplugging everything, retuning, making sure that your TV is up-to-date? If not, try these and let me know.

profile.country.GB.title
Mike-G1sbn
Explorer

I'm not using any Sky equipment, only a steerable dish installed by myself with a universal LNB which has performed perfectly with Technomate and Pace satellite receivers and more recently with a 2012 Toshiba LCD TV with built-in HD satellite receiver and now with this rubbish and I mean rubbish Sony Bravia TV with the flakiest firmware possible. The previous firmware version would randomly tell me 'No Channels Stored' which was ridiculous. Perhaps one day the firmware will be working adequately but this latest version seems to have escaped without proper testing, we users being the testbed.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey again, I found the post thread, check it out: 

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/bbc-message-good-news-you-do-not-need-to-do-anything-mess...

Obviously that's due to some work being done by the broadcaster. 

profile.country.GB.title
Mike-G1sbn
Explorer

I don't believe that totally. Even on terrestrial Freeview the sound does not always appear when you zap through the channels or pick a channel via the EPG. There is no equivalent 799 screen appearing when using Freeview. I don't relish the thought of a factory reset but I shall try it.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Mike-G1sbn, if you have the same issue with the digital freeview channels, then yours is an isolated issue. Try the factory reset and let me know. 

profile.country.GB.title
Mike-G1sbn
Explorer

Full factory reset done(not selecting Google TV) and no change. Sound lost when changing channel through the Freeview EPG  and would not come back on any Freeview channel selected by either EPG or number. Sound only restored when I went to General Satellite(pointing at Astra 1 and channels newly scanned) and selected a free-to-air channel. However, the constant flashing up of the page 799 advice at every channel change in Freesat mode(pointing at Astra 2) seems to have stopped.

profile.country.GB.title
Mike-G1sbn
Explorer

WRONG !! I've just changed channels through the EPG, the 799 page flashed up and the new channel popped up a few seconds later WITH NO SOUND.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Mike-G1sbn, I won't comment on the message now. But if you have no sound from Freeview through EPG or if you pressed the number, that's an issue. 

Try tuning without the aerial connected, then do a full restart from the mains, then tune with the aerial connected again. 

Also, are you having the sound issue with any other source? Apps for example? 

profile.country.GB.title
Mike-G1sbn
Explorer

I'm beginning to think that it's an incompatibility with my Yamaha RX-V500D a/v amplifier as during any setting up procedure after factory reset, although it is detected, and recognised, I never hear anything when setup tests the ARC link. Once on a programme, if there's no audio via the Yamaha, I have to get to the 'Display and Sound' section of Setttings and enter the 'Audio Output' section and change the Digital Audio Out setting to a different option but even returning to the original setting will still allow audio. I never had this anomaly with my previous Toshiba LCD TV and I'm using the same HDMI cable.