Join now - be part of our community!

battery heat issues with latest system update

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

battery heat issues with latest system update

XPERIA PRO-I

Have submitted below to Sony support.  wanted to make others aware to either confirm if they have also updated or avoid if they havent yet.

=======================

installed 61.2.f.0.191 earlier today.

device now immediately heats up in normal (light) use when it never did before so that it is too hot to hold. battey also dropping about 1% every minute or so.

i have the battery care set to always and 80% and usually keep the charge between 50-80% so the battery has always been taken care of. this has literally only started immediately after this last system update.

please investigate this URGENTLY - consider pulling the update so others cannot install it, investigate and send out a new version ASAP.

This has made my phone unusable. I do not want to either burn myself or risk battery/phone damage or even fire! I am therefore powering my phone off.

Again, I repeat that this immediately happened only after the system update.

67 REPLIES 67
profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

Hi @duncy21 

Sorry to hear that there may be additional complications in your case.  Well done for reporting it to Sony.

Just some suggestions that may or may not work!

1. Did you try clearing Google Play's cache and storage?

2. Can you try the procedure in "safe mode"?

Otherwise a software repair may be your only resort at this stage to get this phone working 😞

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi all, while we're waiting for information from Sony, just thought I'd tell you

a friend had these problems after the update but a factory reset sorted them out.

Again, I know people are reluctant to either reset or perform a software repair but its

further proof that it works.

profile.country.GB.title
arokub
Explorer

Empty app, battery drain and high temparature comes back regularly despite using the trick 😞
Fortunately disabling play store and then long press on that app still works.

profile.country.PL.title
MarcinB
Explorer

Empty application and high temperature returns. I guess I'll have to do a repair through sony companion again. A month ago I also had to repair it because the phone was restarting itself. But I don't have enough time to do it once a month... Tell me, did the QR reader from the upper beam start working after the repair? Mine doesn't turn on after the May update.

profile.country.NL.title
Rduppen

The QR reader works for me (after software repair). 

profile.country.GB.title
neilladavies
Explorer

I tried clearing the cache on Play Store app, then disabling the app and rebooting my phone. The phantom app icon was gone and battery drain/heating issues appeared to be resolved! Unfortunately if I re-enable Play Store those problems resurface before long, so for the moment I'm leaving it deactivated unless I want to download an app. Hopefully Sony will release a fix soon - they ought to be embarrassed by this, but compared to other manufacturers their record with software support isn't good.

profile.country.IE.title
JammyJr
Explorer

I got the same answer. And it seems a bit incorrect. Thanks for the tip about the Play Store, it helped me a bit. I'm still waiting for the update.

profile.country.GB.title
fsbarbero
Explorer

I think there has to be more than just a issue in Google Play Store and the ghost app. I have an Xperia 10 IV and the latest firmware (65.1.A.5.50) updated the baseband. After the update, besides the ghost app (that can be removed disabling Google Play Store), I have seen that what consumes the most battery is the mobile network. Before the update, the battery lasted more than 5 days (according to my usage), but now, it barely lasts a day.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hey all, 

I managed to know that the new issue with Xperia after the last update is kindda related to Google and that ghost app, Sony came up with the clearing cache and data and disable Google play work around, but as far as I know after restarting the phone, you should enable it again. Has that worked for anyone?

profile.country.GB.title
duncy21
Explorer

Sony asked me to try a repair.

It didnt work as Windows app couldnt detect the phone was fully charged.

So i just backed up my data and fully factory reset my phone. No issue since.

I should say I did migrate to an old Samsung for 5 days while Sony messaged me back and forth.

I frankly couldn't be bothered anymore with the back and forth debug with Sony support. I should say the support response was generic and not Xperia OS focused as some of the menus were wrong in the guide.

Also the response i got was mainly "Yes updates cause problems from time to time" which doesn't acknowledge what a serious bug this was and how completely unusable the phone was in this state. Genuinely considering migrating away from the phone in the future as I've had a few other Sony version of Android bugs and this one was a big one.

Moving on from my perspective.