Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
danielbeyzade

@markboro Please email the CEO office using my template from my post yesterday. Please PM me for my email address so you can CC me so that I can keep track of the number of complaints and report back.

UPDATE - CEO Rep Kimberley called me, she has received all of the numerous emails using my template. Sony are working on an official response but it is not ready. At a minimum it will be going to all those who have emailed copying me, hopefully it will be more of a "press release" on the community forum or product pages.

Thanks to all those who have so far sent my email template in, please keep them coming...

Will update when I hear back from Kimberley.

MonkeyWallace
Explorer

I called Currys earlier and raised a call to get my TV returned 4 months after purchase.

The gent on the other end was very helpful and logged all the points I raised in regards to a mis-sell (i.e. features advertised do not match what was provided).

I've just had a call back from them to say it won't be resolved today as it's going to get escalated to the legal department to determine what Currys legal stance with Sony is.

I'm guessing from this that there is no precedent; which would imply that nobody else has had their TV refunded/replaced by Currys because of a mis-selling claim. Can anyone PM me if you have been through this process and had any joy as I'd like to quote precedents (no names) if there have been any.

danielbeyzade

@MonkeyWallace Please join our campaign. PM me for further info

MonkeyWallace
Explorer

@danielbeyzade Done :slight_smile:

Well done for organising this.

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

@danielbeyzade PM sent! thanks mate

scoopy6

Thanks malcolm1962. You are right that on the Sony website two satellite tuners are said to be available, and agree that a potential buyer could well assume that there would also be an EPG. It follows that Sony should have clarified the rather obscure point that, when 'Freesat (TM)' itself is not on offer, it also means that there would not even be a TV guide!!

I have not tried it but can the usual satellite channels not be tuned automatically and can they not be selected from a list?  If so I suppose it would not be too bad for a user who lacked a decent terrestrial TV service to use the Tv guide in a paper, or online...

The notes in the specs do (nearly) explain that YouView can't be used concurrently with the FreeView EPG but I can see that some people might have liked to have both. To us YouView is just a redundant novelty, quickly to be forgotten once a decent EPG and the recording facility finally arrive: the picture and sound are the main things and the simple menus integrate a lot of functions - recording will mean that yet another box can go.

49X8309C in uk
danielbeyzade

I would like to pointout that the specs also do not say FreeView, so by the same logic it should not have guide data, but yet it did from day 1. FreeView and YouView are not related. Also Sony do not have to subscribe to the FreeSat system to get guide data, there are plenty of other sources they can get this data from. How do you think other satelitte tuners that have guides work...

Secondly the notes explaing YouView cannot be used concurrently with the other features was only added recently when the site was updated announcing the delay. This info was not available at the time many people purchased their units. Its not so much using the FreeView guide concurrently that is bothering people its the fact you cannot use the Satelitte Tuner, Satelitte has different channels and some people do not have a a TV aerial. This means you are unable to access the on demand content. Also the TV was advertised has having HDD recording - my assumption was it would work with YouView, but this is another feature that is disabled with YouView

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@scoopy6  if Youview is disabled you can do a full satellite tune and use all the free to air channels.  The only issue is that the TV guide will not work properly. So if you use a tablet with the Sideview app. You can use the TV fine if you do not have a FreeView signal. You can of course use a paper guide. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@danielbeyzade wrote:

I would like to pointout that the specs also do not say FreeView, so by the same logic it should not have guide data, but yet it did from day 1. FreeView and YouView are not related. Also Sony do not have to subscribe to the FreeSat system to get guide data, there are plenty of other sources they can get this data from. How do you think other satelitte tuners that have guides work...

Secondly the notes explaing YouView cannot be used concurrently with the other features was only added recently when the site was updated announcing the delay. This info was not available at the time many people purchased their units. Its not so much using the FreeView guide concurrently that is bothering people its the fact you cannot use the Satelitte Tuner, Satelitte has different channels and some people do not have a a TV aerial. This means you are unable to access the on demand content. Also the TV was advertised has having HDD recording - my assumption was it would work with YouView, but this is another feature that is disabled with YouView

You are 100% correct. Waiting for suppliers to pull stock. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
mikeyd0407

Hi all,

I've battled with this TV from day one (i purchased it from launch):

Problem 1) The free sound bar that came with the tv was an absolute pile of junk and sounded no better than the useless ones in the tv. With the soundbar in front of the tv I couldn't use the tv remote as its size blocked the IR receiver on the TV (great design sony). As the sound bar didn't have HDMI control I ended up having to have a multiple remote controls. To get round this I ended up paying a further £300 for a Sony sound Plinth so the TV sits on top (plus this sorts the issue  of blocking the tv's IR receiver).... this did cost a small fortune though

Problem 2) Lip syncing issues. This usually happens when you select none tv sources & video players - e.g. youtube

Problem 3) Tv  reboots itself for no reason

Problem 4) Black screen with sound. Menus still work though - I was hoping that this issue would get fixed in this latest update.

Problem 5) Youview... one of the main reasons I purchase this TV is the fact that I could use youview for my TV watching and recording needs (and I could potentially get rid of my SKY subscription)... Not only did I have to wait months for the application to arrive (promised summer, but took to the winter to come), but it sounds like it won't function as a replacement to a SKY HD recorder.

I have been on to Sony customer services numerous times about the issues and have asked how I stand on returning the TV to the for a refund as I am not happy (especially with the black screen problem - as I have to keep sorting it out for my wife). The customer service rep said that I would need to allow them two chances at repairing the problems; So last week an engineer came for his first try at diagnosing the fault. he typed some codes into the TV remote and brought up a diagnostic service menu - this showed a fault in the main 4k board. He has ordered a new board/part and is coming on Tuesday to fit it. If this does not stop the TV black screen issue then I will be getting them out for the second visit so I can progress a refund (I personally think this may be a software bug and not hardware).

I'll let you know how the TV performs after the part is replaced

I either want a refund or a free upgrade when next years model is released to replace this underpowered pile of junk

If I don't get any joy then I am going to BBC  Watch Dog... See how may TVs they sell after that !! - This is what happens when you sell sub standard products and use you customer base as a test bed

Happy Hunting everyone and fight the good fight

Michael