Join now - be part of our community!

Songs playing out of order

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sam20000
Visitor

Songs playing out of order

My Walkman MP3 player, NWZ-B153, often plays songs in the wrong order.

I've ripped most of them from CDs using iTunes. It usually plays the album tracks in the wrong order, despite the track numbers being in the ID tags and the filenames being in alphabetical order.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.it_IT.title
Alanna.IT
Visitor

The problem is the FAT32.

I soved using a very small utility:  fatsort

I'm a Linux user, so I installed this utility using the packet manager (equo) of my distro (Sabayon).  I think is avalable on the repository of all major distro.

For Windows user the utility is "nextsort", if I remeber...

I hope this solution could help other persons with the same problem.

Thank you to all! :slight_smile:

(but not to the official Sony support!

The send me a "satisfaction questionary" but not answer... grrrrr .\/. )

Message was edited by: Alanna.IT

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Alanna.IT
Visitor

Same proble too, but with a car radio (CDX-GT35U model).

If I play mp3 from cd, everything is fine, from usb key -> wrong order. (the same order each time, but wrong).

Listening concept albums or classical music the playlist order is very very very important.

A firmware bug which involves the mp3 reader software? 😕

In the case, how to update the firmware of a car radio?

profile.country.GB.title
bazz2011
Explorer

I have had this problem with some audio files.  Unfortunately, I can’t remember the exact solution. It was solved by renumbering tracks by right clicking the mp3 files selecting Properties and experimenting. I ended up with track numbers like 1_01 or 1-01 where the first digit refers to the number of the CD in a series. Sorry that’s a little vague but be warned it took an awful long time to get the correct order of playback.

Alanna.IT
Visitor

The problem is the FAT32.

I soved using a very small utility:  fatsort

I'm a Linux user, so I installed this utility using the packet manager (equo) of my distro (Sabayon).  I think is avalable on the repository of all major distro.

For Windows user the utility is "nextsort", if I remeber...

I hope this solution could help other persons with the same problem.

Thank you to all! :slight_smile:

(but not to the official Sony support!

The send me a "satisfaction questionary" but not answer... grrrrr .\/. )

profile.country.GB.title
bazz2011
Explorer

Thanks for the posting although it seems that using such software can screw things up. You are right about Sony being poor on support.  Why on earth can't they go the extra mile and produce a Walkman which will dependably play the tracks in the right order?  I also wonder why they bother with the Content Transfer software which I couldn't install.  It's not even needed.  The A845 is a great player and doesn't need touch screen bluetooth etc. Keeping the price down is more important. They should have addressed the issue of the volume cap which has enraged a lot of European purchasers.

Alanna.IT
Visitor

Nope, this software don't screw anything. It fix all perfectly. If I don't fix the fat32 usb key using fatsort, song are completely out of order.

Yes, Sony support (Italian support at least) sucks!

I don't know about the walkman player. My problem was with a car radio player.

Maybe, far away in the future, I will buy a walkman... when they finally don't make the "Miky Mouse keys" anymore. I'm not 10! :dizzy:

bye!

lorebett
Visitor

I've just bought a NWZ-E464 and I'm experiencing the order problem with albums with more than one CD... the CD number is set correctly in the tag of each file (and indeed the ordering is correct in the Media Go program) but not on the player... on the player it shows for an album with two CDs

first song of the first CD

first song of the second CD

second song of the first CD

second song of the second CD

etc.

which is of course wrong!

Renaming files with the pattern cdnumber-tracknumber solves the problem but ONLY if you select the Folder view: in the album view the order is still wrong!!! I don't think that's related to FAT32 isn't it?

Alanna.IT
Visitor

Try to format in old FAT16 (not FAT32), or try fatsort(linux)/nextsort(windows) (but only works good on a new formatted key, ie nothing deleted yet).

profile.country.GB.title
feline1

I get this exact same bug on the new Sony NW-ZX100 walkman, released Autumn 2015 - 

multi-disc albums play in the wrong order, it ignores the "disc number" meta-data. 

Terrible!

profile.country.GB.title
feline1

I had a reply back from Sony Support saying that the lack of support for multidisc albums (i.e. with "Track N of Disc Y" in the ID3 tag) is "by design".

Ho hum.

Apparently they "may" consider it for a future update.

So the only workaround is to manually renumber all the hundreds of multidisc albums I have. 

If anyone else is annoyed by this problem, please contact Sony Support and let them know how you feel...