Join now - be part of our community!

NWZ-A15 control via car radio

SonySJ
Explorer

NWZ-A15 control via car radio

Hi all, I understand the NWZ-A15 can't be controlled from the car radio when connected via bluetooth (whereas the iPods can), but what about if they're connected via the USB?

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

By Bluetooth, you should be able to change tracks, if not, that's your car radio system that  doesn't support this bluetooth profile.

Unfortunately, you can't control the walkman from the car system by USB BUT it should be possible that you can access the walkman memory, thus acces to your music files and play them

SonySJ
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. I remember reading somewhere that the A15 Walkman does not allow control of itself, via bluetooth, unlike the iPod. That's why I was wondering if physically connecting via the Sony WM port to USB connector would allow the car radio to access the music files, and allow control of track selection.

I've learned that the Sony WM port to USB cable that comes supplied is not intended for music playback, just data transfer to a PC and charging.

Sony make an adaptor, the WMC-NWH10, to allow music playback via the WM port to USB, and this allows plugging the Walkman into a high quality external DAC and amplifier - and playing the digital music files. This cable has to come from Japan, or from a reseller, and is expensive. There are cheaper alternative cables available to do the job - but it's not clear if it will solve the problem of controlling the Walkman from the car radio.

Below is the response I received from Sony support:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr Johnson

Thank you for your recent email.

With reference to your ongoing case, after investigating the case, please note that the usb on NWZ A15 is used  for content transfer, and does not play audio on other device.

In this case, you may use WM PORT jack and we can confirm that Sony Spare Parts/Accessories can be ordered from the warehouse detailed below: EET Europarts Ltd Contact information  Website: http://uk.eetgroup.com/ Phone: +44 (0) 208 421 0101 Fax: +44 (0) 208 421 3364 E-mail: sales@eeteuroparts.co.uk

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours Sincerely,  Noura

SONY SUPPORT TEAM http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....That doesn't answer the question, so I guess I've asked something strange!

Oh well, I've bought the device now and I think my kid will just get a mount in the car and press the buttons on the Walkman directly, instead of the car stereo.