Join now - be part of our community!

MDR 1000X BRACKET CRACKED

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
raf35y
Explorer

MDR 1000X BRACKET CRACKED

I hope someone can help me, I have read a post re the MDR1000X headphones cracking at the pivot point/hinge, and that sony will repair or exchange if this happens.

This very thing has happened to me. I purchased a pair new from J Lewis (Monks Cross York) last March so have owned them 15 months but have used them very little maybe 10 hours at the most, they look new. But the pivot point on both cups has developed a crack. I have returned these to J Lewis as they carry a 2 year warranty but the Sony repair center they have been sent to have said the headphones have been damaged and want me to pay for a repair. I am both very disappointed and angry with this decision given the well publicised cracking issue. Can anyone help me with this please?

Robert.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
raf35y
Explorer

Now got the headphones repaired under my 2 year warranty.

But not happy with the proccess, first Sony told me I had misused the headphones and caused the cracks myself, and I had to pay for a repair.

Only after I produced the serial numbers of the problem product and many reported incidents of the same fault did the back down and repair my headphones.

Not good in my opinion, also I have the same headphones, so how long before they crack again? probably after my 2 year warranty has run out. I would have prefered a refund or replacment.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @raf35y,

if I am not mistaken you are out of the one year warranty period, so you need to send the headphones for repair like explained on this site: http://services.sony.co.uk/supportmvc/en/repair/faq

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
raf35y
Explorer

Hello Nic,

My problem is Sony are claiming this is damage by missuse and not acknowloging the know cracking fault, my headphones are within the serial number range where the fault exists.

J Lewis where I purchaced them from offer a 2 year warranty.

As I said about 10 hours use from a £360 pair of headphones cannot be right.

Robert.

profile.country.GB.title
raf35y
Explorer

Now got the headphones repaired under my 2 year warranty.

But not happy with the proccess, first Sony told me I had misused the headphones and caused the cracks myself, and I had to pay for a repair.

Only after I produced the serial numbers of the problem product and many reported incidents of the same fault did the back down and repair my headphones.

Not good in my opinion, also I have the same headphones, so how long before they crack again? probably after my 2 year warranty has run out. I would have prefered a refund or replacment.

profile.country.GB.title
Rachaelx182
Explorer

Hi there.  I have this problem too. Sony currently have the headset but said I have to pay to repair as I've used it in appropriately. What did you say to them to get it fixed under warranty and where did you see the information about affected serial numbers please  

profile.country.GB.title
raf35y
Explorer

Hi the serial numbers can be found in these forums or Google Sony headphone crack, I had to throw a paddy in J Lewis and demanded to see the manager, I was armed with print outs of other people's faulty headphones, discusting that Sony try and blame customers for this design fault.
Don't take no for an answer.
Good luck

Sent from my Huawei Mobile