Join now - be part of our community!

Wrong serial number in BIOS after BIOS Ugrade

profile.country.en_GB.title
miketaylor7
New

Wrong serial number in BIOS after BIOS Ugrade

I have just bought this computer from a customer. I am trying to rebuild for my son for Christmas but have come across a problem. I have purchased the correct recovery media from EE and when I try the recovery I get a message stating that this machine cannot be recovered using this media. When I look in the BIOS I see that the model number is listed as VGN-XXX and the serial number is listed as 12345678-1234567. The UUID is listed as 00020003-0004-0005-0006-000700080009.

I have reset the BIOS to defaults and updated to latest version - R2040T5.

These details I presume are the reason that the recovery process does not recognize the computer type. Is there a utiity available that can help?

I have tried contacting Sony support every day for the last week and have no response from them!

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Hi @miketaylor7,

correct recovery, are you sure? Maybe an error between Windows Pro and Home?

Manolo

profile.country.en_GB.title
miketaylor7
New

I am sure Manolo - it is Windows 7 Home Premium recovery media which is what the computer was running - it was ordered from EET Parts using the serial number of the computer. I'm sure it's to do with the fact that the model number is shown as VGN-XXX in the Bios

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

At this point (BIOS upgrade, DVD unaccepted), you can try with an Windows 7 HP ISO, from DVD/USB.
After that you can download and install drivers, utilities and softwares from Sony support site.

Manolo