Join now - be part of our community!

Won't boot from USB-FDD

Franz47
Visitor

Won't boot from USB-FDD

Vaio VGN-FS285H = PCG-7A1M. I have a NEC UF0002 USB FDD, which works and boots fine with my other HP Compaq notebook. When attaching it to the Sony VAIO, it is recognized after bootup of WinXP but not earlier. Although I have configured the BIOS to start ffrom the FDD, the FDD is dead until Windows rises. I want to boot the notebook with a Ghost DOS boot floppy to make backups through a network. Glad for any suggestion,
Franz47

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Welcome to Club Vaio Franz47.

I am afraid that you have wandered into the crazed world of Sony! The only USB floppy drive that you will be able to boot from is made by Sony (Oh there’s a surprise) – check out compatible drives for your model on Vaio-Link…:smileysad:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Franz47
Visitor

Welcome to Club Vaio Franz47.

I am afraid that you have wandered into the crazed world of Sony! The only USB floppy drive that you will be able to boot from is made by Sony (Oh there’s a surprise) – check out compatible drives for your model on Vaio-Link…:smileysad:

One USB-FDD in a household must be enough. Next try will be to make a bootable CD from the floppy. I hope the computer will consent to boot from a non-Sony CD-RW disk???

Regards
Franz47