Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 8 drivers

profile.country.en_GB.title
thebartletts_49
Visitor

Windows 8 drivers

Hi I am looking for a base system device driver for my sony vaio VGN-FW31M after Windows 8 upgrade.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction please

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi thebartletts_49,

The Base System Device driver will probably be for the Memory Stick/SD cards.

This model is not supported by Sony for upgrade to Windows 8 and was released with Windows Vista. There is no update available for the Memory Card Reader Writer Driver RicohSD for Win 7 so you could try the original Vista driver - but I doubt this will install.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FW31M/downloads/Preinstalled_Drivers_4118

Otherwise you will need to try a Google for a compatible driver.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
thebartletts_49
Visitor

Hi Rich

Thanks for your help, now up and running with the card reader although Device manager still shows an error and the following text is in the box

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Thanks again Rich I am sure we will have fun and games with Win8 ongoing. (Skype app microphone to name but one)

Bert

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

That’s good news Bert, but a puzzle as to why there is still an error code as the device is working. Is this still against a Base System Device?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
thebartletts_49
Visitor

Hi Rich

here is the offending item

Bert

base system device.PNG

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Bert,

Just to certain on what this device is can you right click ‘Base System Device’ and select ‘Properties’ > Details tab > on the drop down menu select Hardware Ids. Let us know the resulting Id and we may then have a better idea of the exact device in question.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
thebartletts_49
Visitor

Hi Rich

I have copied the following info, you will I hofe make sense ofit

Base system device Hardware Ids.PNG

Thanks again

Bert

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Bert,

The hardware Ids are for the Ricoh Memory Stick Host Controller.

Assuming that it is working for both read and write you may choose to just ignore the error. Otherwise you will need to search for a compatible Windows 8 driver. A quick Google suggests that this may prove difficult.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
vanmouti
Explorer

Hi, I just got windows 8, and I can't find any matching drivers. I have Sony Vaio VPCCW2S1E. I checked for the support for drivers but all i found was win7 and vista drivers. There is no win8 driver list. Please help me. Maybe you can write me a link for this.