Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 8/8.1 stand-alone install media / disks

SOLVED
takrzem

Windows 8/8.1 stand-alone install media / disks

I was wondering if someone from SONY could clarify to me one thing:

Assuming worst case scenario and hard disk failure leading to having Windows 8/8.1 sourced from somewhere else rather than recovery partition... And not having backup / recovery disk made...

Is there a way / chance to obtain original / OEM install media / disks from SONY? If so, is this FOC? If not, how much would that be (UK)?

Also, I am maintaining two different VAIO laptops - would this media be compatible in both cases? What happens if Windows versions differ (pro etc.?)

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You should be aware by now that Sony monitor these forums but very rarely reply to individual posts.

Recovery discs are specific to each Vaio model.  If your second Vaio is exactly the same model, the discs may work on both but if the model is different, this is very unlikely.

You can purchase a dedicated set of Recovery Discs from Sony Support which cost around £50 (delivered by courier) the last time I heard.  These will return the Vaio to the original factory condition (including the original OS and software) and can also recreate a Recovery Partition if required.  These are NOT Microsoft Windows OEM install discs - just the original software reinstallation.  If you want Windows install discs, you will have to buy them from a retail source as these are not available from Sony.

You should be able to create your own Recovery Media for the cost of the blank DVDs (unless you are one of the people with a Vaio Care problem).  This is best done as the very first thing you do when purchasing the Vaio.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You should be aware by now that Sony monitor these forums but very rarely reply to individual posts.

Recovery discs are specific to each Vaio model.  If your second Vaio is exactly the same model, the discs may work on both but if the model is different, this is very unlikely.

You can purchase a dedicated set of Recovery Discs from Sony Support which cost around £50 (delivered by courier) the last time I heard.  These will return the Vaio to the original factory condition (including the original OS and software) and can also recreate a Recovery Partition if required.  These are NOT Microsoft Windows OEM install discs - just the original software reinstallation.  If you want Windows install discs, you will have to buy them from a retail source as these are not available from Sony.

You should be able to create your own Recovery Media for the cost of the blank DVDs (unless you are one of the people with a Vaio Care problem).  This is best done as the very first thing you do when purchasing the Vaio.

:thinking:

takrzem

Hey Blencogo,

Thanks for helpful response. Yes, I am aware of the passive approach of SONY.

So my options are:

* Do nothing

* Shell out 2 x £50 as two laptops are of dintincitive nature (so are the OS, one of them is Pro). Ouch!

* Create recovery media, either using optical disk(s) or USB drive.

Quick ones though:

* Does this recovery media refer to recovery partition information only? In other words I will have restored system to the original condition rather than the time when I create recovery media itself?

* Can I boot from recovery media?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The Recovery Discs return the Vaio to its Factory condition.  They are a copy of the Recovery Partition and never change with use. Nothing added to the Vaio changes the recovery software at all.

Disc 1 of a Recovery Disc Set is bootable.

If you want a system recovery that includes new software, updates and settings you need to make an image of your hard drive using something like Acronis True Image.  This is only possible if you have a fully working system to copy.

:wink:

takrzem

Yep, all makes sense, thanks for clarifications.

Checked my Vaio Care / Vaio Recovery as well and no problems there.