Join now - be part of our community!

VPCEB4L1E - touch pad and keyboard malfunction...what's going on?!

profile.country.en_GB.title
goosey_bonus
Visitor

VPCEB4L1E - touch pad and keyboard malfunction...what's going on?!

Yesterday I was editing some photographs on Photoshop when all of a sudden the mouse pointer just froze in the middle of the screen and the pointing device stopped working completely. At this point, still being able to use the keyboard, I restarted the computer as normal then when it booted back up and got to the log in screen...I discovered that the keyboard had now stopped working too.

The odd part is that I can still use the keyboard in the BIOS but anything after that it just stops again...with the exception of 'Fn + F5, F6 and F7' (which is useless as it's the screen brightness and display options)

I have done the following to try and fix this to no avail:

Removed the battery for 30 minutes then put it back in

Done system restores to 3 different points of time

Plugged in an external USB mouse (which works)

All drivers are up to date and with a scan from Sony's Device Manager all seems good

Checked to see if any recent Windows Updates had effected it which they hadn't

Tried the 'Repair Computer' option in the Boot Menu

It can run in safe mode but then won't let me do a system restore

Is there anybody out there who's had this same problem?

It's a fairly new purchase and I was just wondering if at this point there is a solution other than sending it off to Sony or doing a Factory Restore?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi goosey_bonus,

As, if I understand correctly, all works normally in safe mode/BIOS this would seem to be a software issue and therefore Sony will probably ask you to carry out a factory reset to eliminate this possibility prior to accepting the notebook for repair.

You seem to have carried out most of the standard troubleshooting with the exception of a FULL malware/virus scan – this would be worthwhile before considering a factory reset.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat