Join now - be part of our community!

Vista ultimate 64-bit on VGC-RM1N - Blue screen during install

profile.country.en_GB.title
alzadude
Visitor

Vista ultimate 64-bit on VGC-RM1N - Blue screen during install

Hi there,

I tried to install the 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate on a Vaio VGC-RM1N but unfortunately I got a 'blue screen of death' shortly after the installation starts, with the following error:

STOP 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I tried again but also pressed the 'F8' key to run setup in safe mode, and was then able to see the drivers being loaded. The blue screen seems to happen when the 'disk.sys' driver is being loaded.

Has anyone else with this Vaio tried to install a 64-bit version of Vista and seen the same problem? If so, did you manage to solve the problem and install sucessfully?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
tonybeard
Explorer

By default vista will reboot quickly after a BSOD.

This error may also be caused by a bad or incompatable controller failing or overclocked memory, or a piece of hardware that Vista does not support(disk.sys).

All that can be done is stick to 32 bit (which works with most programs) and wait for Vaio to build drivers for 64 bit. It'a been a chore getting any 64bit vista drivers for any hardware as the industry has got waylaid producing drivers due to the small percentage of 64bit home users so far (3%).

Another thing is the chipset is not a true 64bit it emulates 64bit which also may cause problems but it is more likely to be drivers that vista cannot locate.

alzadude
Visitor

Just an update on the above problem.. I managed to workaround the STOP error and install Vista x64 sucessfully by disabling the "Core Multiplexing Technology" option in the BIOS.

Unfortunately, I realised later that although disabling this option allowed Vista to boot ok, it effectively disables two of the four cores in my CPU; so this isn't a very good solution!

As a result of this discovery, I now suspect the problem is due to a BIOS issue, but as this is a Sony VAIO (and x64 Vista is not officially supported by them on this model) I may be waiting quite a while for an updated BIOS.

A