Join now - be part of our community!

Vista CD?

Flashmac
Visitor

Vista CD?

Hello all,don't know if this is the right place to ask about this but shur here goes.
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NS30E and am just wondering about whether or not I can get a cd copy of the original Vista that was on the laptop. I had a problem with a partition with Linux and some bit of memory that shouldnt have been deleted was. I got the laptop working with Linux grand enough again when it was fixed but now i have a Dell Windows Vista version on my laptop (the repair guy put it on because he had to rewrite some Java script or something and told me to find some Vista disc that came with my laptop) .
The problem is that no cd at all came with my laptop as Vista was already on my computer so im wondering how could I fix this problem (possibly by getting a cd off Sony or whatever). The Dell Vista on my laptop now has no drivers and i don't think I can download any of them off Sony since it is a Dell version.
Ya so thats me problem(s) for today!
Id appreciate any suggestions,thanks.

John

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Flashmac and welcome.

You should have made the Recovery Discs by copying the recovery software from the hard drive to bootable DVDs when you first bought your Vaio.

If you have not formatted the drive then there may still be a hidden partition on the HDD with the original Vista and drivers in it. You can start the recovery centre by tapping F10 when you see the first Vaio Logo Screen. Follow the instructions for a full recovery.

If you have formatted the drive you will have destroyed the recovery partition. Then you will need to contact Sony Support and purchase a set of Recovery Discs. These will cost anout £50.

:slight_frown:

Flashmac
Visitor

Aw balls ye i never backed up the thing no, and yes he formatted the system but i have the Program Files and Documents saved from before but i spose that isnt worth much. Ah well,lesson learned. Thanks for the swift reply. Oh ye one thing,im able to get Windows 7 free through my college,will that work or will i still have to get Vista first?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you are going to make a clean install, you may as well go straight to Windows 7. Especially if you can get it cheap.

You will be able to download all the necessary drivers and Sony Utility programs by selecting your model here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=0&s=VGN-NS#

The download site is down again this evening - I will try to give you the full link tomorrow.

:wink:

Flashmac
Visitor

Will the drivers not come with the new Windows 7? Of course I have no idea what im talking about but just trying to be helpful! Will i need the drivers before i get windows 7?