Join now - be part of our community!

VGNFE41M NV7400go corruption

profile.country.en_GB.title
aramil75
Visitor

VGNFE41M NV7400go corruption

I have had this laptop for some time, but now I have a problem that on bios boot the vaio logo is corrupt "coloured lines on screen" and windows will not boot with any nvidia driver (I have tried all!). Although with a generic vga driver all works well (if not at high res).

I have re-flashed main bios this did nothing to help.

Unable to locate nv bios for 7400go to check if this is where the problem is.

Any help or ideas?

Aramil75

3 REPLIES 3
aramil75
Visitor

Problem solved. I disassembled the unit only to find the smallest amount of thermal paste !!!!! after cleaning and applying some New thermal paste (more than was on it before) all is well and running properly.

How Sony ever thought that a drop of paste would work is beyond me!

alan_chai_
Visitor

Hey aramil75,

thanks so much for posting... i have the exact same problem although mine is a VGN-C2Z model.. but i have the nvidia GeForce Go 7400 also..

same problems.. green verticle lines seen during the start up of the laptop.. and when can only enter windows if i disable / uninstall my nvidia driver and use the standard VGA one..

have tried every solution on the web (weeks) like downloading drivers from laptopvideo2go, official nvidia site, etc, reformatting to win7, reflashing my bios, using driver sweeper to completely delete all old nvidia driver traces etc.. nothing works..

i have now resorted to yr solution.. however when i open my laptop down to the nvidia chip, it has a purple putty (like plasticine) on top of it, and not a drop but seems sufficient for the size of the nvidia 7400 chip so i just tried to spread it more evenly over the chip.. doesnt seem to have solved the problem though..

if it was a heat issue, id have left the laptop off over night and turned it on under very cold temp.

any idea if you have unplugged and then replugged any ribbon cables or such while you fixed your problem?

am desperately trying to fix this problem..

charly270
New