Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FZ21S - I want to format and install my own version of Vista with a few programs from the pre-install - help please!

profile.country.GB.title
adaharri0
Explorer

VGN-FZ21S - I want to format and install my own version of Vista with a few programs from the pre-install - help please!

I received my new laptop yesterday and am very pleased with the build quality and style.

I do have an issue, however, with the installation of Vista and the partition of the HDD and preinstalled software. I want to remove the partition to have the full HDD space.

What I would really like to do is install my own copy of Vista Ultimate, with a few of the Sony utils (Vaio update and a few others) plus of course, all of the drivers needed to have full functions of the extra keys, such as the AV mode button, and of course the motion eye drivers etc.

It is unbelievable in this day and age that no discs were supplied with the system and there is no way for me to access the programs I need to reinstall (WinDVD BD for example).

Can anybody give me clear pointers as to what I should do please?

I am experienced in software and hardware installation but not in Sony notebook/software methods!

Thanks in advance for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
adaharri0
Explorer

Also, there does not appear to be any downloadable drivers or software/utilities for this model when I go to the correct place.

This does not bode well!

MrWhat101
Visitor

Vista's the reason why manufacturers of Vista compatible peripherals don't provide drivers with their products any more. Vista has these drivers as part of the OS. The problem is, Vista doesn't always recognise these drivers. When this happens, you have to contact the manufacturers of the equipment etc and ask for the drivers etc. I've had no end of problems with Vista. This is why my new laptop has been downgraded to XP Pro and all drivers manually installed. This way ensures that things do work. This is why it costs so much to downgrade (!) to XP from Vista.

profile.country.GB.title
adaharri0
Explorer

Yes but the fact that Sony do not supply the drivers for my laptop individually, really is annoying me as surely I am entitled to these by law? After all, I paid for the licence and have no access to do what I want to do with the laptop - I am being controlled by Sony. Not nice at all.

I would drop to XP if I could find all of the drivers for the extra bits and bobs but I have had a lookie around and no luck.

This laptop is built to run Vista and I am happy to do this, but really would like a vanilla install of my own doing!

Somebody must be able to help???

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It may be wise to wait until Sony make the Drivers and Utilities available. It is not easy for us to help you as Sony have just changed the Recovery Environment on Vaios and we know little more than you do about this function.

Do you have a directory C:\Drivers on your Vaio? If so, all the drivers you need will be in that directory.

You will need to create a set of Recovery DVDs by going to the 'VAIO Recovery Utility' and choosing to make a Recovery Media Kit. This will give you the opportunity to return your Vaio to factory settings as a last resort. You will also need these discs if you wish to reinstall any of the preinstalled programs.

Although some members here have installed Vista Ultimate, there have been problems as some of the drivers and utilities don't seem to work with Ultimate. The webcam and the Blu-Ray player are two important functions with which there have been problems.

You say that this model is designed to run with Vista - I think you are right but additionally it is designed to run with Vista Home Premium and all the Sony Utilities.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
adaharri0
Explorer

Unfortunately, no drivers folder in the C: drive.

I am afraid that there should be no difference when running drivers under Vista Home and Vista Ultimate - unless the people you mention are running a 64 bit version. The drivers should be the same for both versions of the OS, simple as that. Vista Home is not a law unto itself and there is no way that the laptops of today are fixed to run on just one version of OS's that are available.

I just don't understand why Sony are trying to control people and not supply the drivers on request. I spent over an hour arguing my point with the hopeless Sony tech support line (names taken for further action) with absolutely no help whatsoever and even the manager was going to call me back but alas, no call. Disgraceful.

I think this laptop is excellent and a great piece of hardware but I am appalled by the way Sony are dealing with my simple requests. Though I am guessing most manufacturers are the same these days (always built my own desktops until now, so no support needed!).

I really hope that the drivers and software appear soon.