Join now - be part of our community!

VaioVGN-FW21L Not PLaying Blu rays

Scrowny
Visitor

VaioVGN-FW21L Not PLaying Blu rays

Hi Guys

my vaio is not reading Blu-rays. i watched a blu-ray when i first got it, and now it will not recognize the blu-ray disk. when i click on the drive, it tells me to insert a disk. i can watch a dvd or even read cd's, but when i put a blu-ray in nothing happens. any ideas?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Scrowny and welcome.

Are you using the latest version of WinDVD BD for Vaio? Version 8.0.20.185 is the latest.
Have you checked for any available Firmware Updates for your Optical Drive?

Check for these here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?m=VGN-FW21L&l=en_GB

:thinking:

Scrowny
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

thanks for your reply

i am using the updated version of WinDVD BD. i have tried un-installing the drivers for the CD-Drive but still no luck. when i insert a blu-ray, the drive does not even spin the disk, almost as if the drive is not working, yet if i put a DVD in the drive it starts up fine. i have also installed the latest Firmware for my drive from the support site. would un-installing WinDVD BD the re-installing it sort the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I wpuld not uninstall WinDVD.

You cannot reinstall WinDVD without carrying out a full recovery - you cannot reinstall it without reverting your Vaio to factory settings.

Are you opening the WinDVD application before you insert a disc?

:thinking:

Scrowny
Visitor

i have tried opening WinDVD befor inserting the disk, even when i insert the disk without opening anything, auto play does not come up. i see the CD icon next to the mouse cursor for a second then nothing. i am just finding it really weird that i can watch DVD's and even burn CD's but the blu-ray just does not work. i want to do a factory reset on my computer anyway but i am not sure this would work. i have seen people saying the drive could be faulty, but then why would it read CD's and DVD's.

thanks again for your help

profile.country.en_GB.title
DemonDave
Visitor

Did you get this sorted Scrowny?

DD