Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO VGC V2M graphics card:might be dead, is it possible to replace it?

werdas
Visitor

VAIO VGC V2M graphics card:might be dead, is it possible to replace it?

Hi, I think my graphics card is dead, can I replace it with other one, I was googling fo go5700, but could find, is there an alternative cards that could fit this model

many thanks

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi werdas,

Unfortunately the "Go" in the name of your Graphics Adapter tells us that you have a laptop chip and it is likely to be soldered into the main board of your Vaio making replacement uneconomical as a new motherboard will probably be needed.

Why do you think it is dead? What are the symptoms?

:thinking:

werdas
Visitor

when I switch it on it does not post , the screen is black but powered..
see http://club.vaio.sony.eu/clubvaio/gb/en/forum/viewthread?thread=66322&lastpage=yes Thread: vaio vgc-v2m fires up but no HD light. blank screen. just a power light

any ideas would be great....

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Having read your other thread it sounds like a trip to the repairers as it could be many things.

As you have no HDD light then either the CMOS chip had failed or part of the motherboard connecting it to the system has failed.

The BIOS does not appear to run and the HDD boot sector is not being read so you have a major failure on the motherboard somewhere.

It won't be the graphics - the system does not get that far and anyway would first use VGA mode.

:slight_frown:

werdas
Visitor

how much it could be to repair? maybe it is not worth it?