Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio PCV-V1/g Will no boot-up

doritabill
Visitor

Vaio PCV-V1/g Will no boot-up

Hi all sony user`s could any one help...My Sony vaio has been faultless,untill 2 days ago system froze completely tried various ways to clear but would not move ,so i chose to switch off using the on-off button depressed for a short while ,now will not boot up or start from the restore pack. Just fan running and power on-off green light illuminated..:smileysad:

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi doritabill and welcome to Club Vaio.

I'm afraid it could be a lot of things. Have you made any changes recently? Added any memory? Any other hardware?

The symptoms you describe could be caused by the memory not being seated securely.

Do you get any action at all from the hard disc?

The only thing I can suggest is to remove any attached hardware, pull the mains plug from the wall and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Leave the Vaio (unplugged) for 30 minutes (or overnight) then reconnect the mains power and see if it will start. This is thought to clear any static which may be causing a capacitor problem. I know it sounds a bit like Black Magic but it has been known to work on occasions.

If not - you may have to book it in for repair.

:slight_frown:

doritabill
Visitor

Thanks for your reply , I have had no mods done to the system at all.
Removed the rear cover and took out the HDD and conected it to my other pc and it is working fine... removed further covers from the rear ( little fingers and a lot of patience is required) and removed the battery from the motherboard and changed the cmos jumper briefly to reset the bios ,replaced the battery power pack and all other components. tried to restart the system but no joy ....still the same i will try your suggestion and keep the forum posted of any progress....:smileyconfused:

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

My bet is the power supply - I've have problems similar to this with my V1 and I believe the power supply is of poor quality and liable to failure.

If you can, try connecting an alternative ATX power supply. If you aren't confident about how to safely do this (the V1 has a custom chassis) then get a local PC builder/repairer to give it a shot.

kee-lo_

Did you get it sorted Rob?

robpaxton
Explorer

Nah - I scrapped it :slight_frown: :slight_frown:

kee-lo_

Damn

robpaxton
Explorer

Well . . . when I say scrapped it I really mean I'll get round to repairing it one day when I can be bothered or when I really need it :slight_frown:

kee-lo_

Or you could sell the parts for a decent price to other V users so they don't have to suffer huge Sony bills :wink: :laughing:

doritabill
Visitor

Hi Thanks for the reply, I`ve tried the power supply and all the voltages according to the specific colour value are all correct . I`ve also tried removing the memory and at this point when switching on the pc gave a long beep,replaced the memory and no beep infact nothing but the fans running..Time to take out the working bits ram ,hdd, graphics card and bin the rest. one Sony to many in my experience...:smileylaugh: