Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Boot problems.

profile.country.sv_SE.title
grayic
Visitor

Vaio Boot problems.

Hello Sony and other forums lurkers.

So I recently bought a Sony Vaio VPCS11X9E/B. Just after half a day of using it , it broke down when I finished installing OpenSUSE with an error that behaved like this:

The computer newer goes out of the "Sony VAIO H2O splash screen". F2,F10,F12, ESC+F2/F3, F9 all combinations doesnt work. It just stays there doing nothnig.

so I contacted Vaio support and the computer was sent to Germany. I got it back after some time, they stated that the error had been an broken harddrive. Having a "fixed" Vaio now, I went on to install OpenSUSE and everything was fine.

Today, 2 months or so later, I decided to give FreeBSD a shot. So I erased the old OpenSUSE partition and installed FreeBSD on it. Mind you, I didnt touch neither of the recovery partitions, norany of the window partitions.

So what happens? Exactly the same thing. Just freezes at bootup. Ive tried to use my Vaio recovery discs and all that happens is that the cd "sounds" for 5-6 seconds but still nothing. It just stays on the Vaio SplashScreen. And yes, Ive tried all combinations of F# keys aswell. I cant get past the splash screen, not even into Bios Setup.

Now Im beginning to question the health of my Vaio. Is this how it is supposed to behave? My old lenovo that costed a third of this Vaio price doesn't behave this way.

Anyone have any suggestion on what to try before I decide to send it in to German again?

Best regards

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.ru_RU.title
cyrus_sr19
Visitor

Hi, grayic.

Maybe you doing it wrong? Why you erase old Suse partition? Why not try FreeBSD in virtual machine(like virtualbox)?? FreeBSD and Linux have different types of partitions and you can broke filesystem.

Can you try F1 to get into BIOS?

If you can not boot it now - you can only try to check your harddrive from different computer or try to boot from CD. But the best way I think - send it to VAIO support.