Join now - be part of our community!

Streaming media from Vaio VGX series

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Streaming media from Vaio VGX series

Hello,

I have a TV in my conservatory that I'd like to stream recorded TV to from my Vaio. Cables between Vaio and TV would be impossible, so I'd be looking for wireless. I'm able to access my Netgear router and other house PCs fine using the Vaio's built-in wireless.

The TV is wall-mounted, and i don't want much clutter around it, so a slim box screwed to the wall would be good.

I did think of Xbox 360, but don't do much gaming out there, so then though of media streaming devices.

Does anyone have any experience of this, and which device would you recommend? Will they accept the .MS video files that Media Centre records, with DRM protection?

Cheers, Chalky

3 REPLIES 3
ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Right, done more research and my shortlist for streaming would be;

Devolo 1299 High Speed mains homeplug networking kit, up to 85Mbps, this avoids having to stream wirelessly so long as both plugs are on the same ring main.
Netgear EVA 800 Digital Entertainer, which is Intel Viiv compliant to match the Vaio http://www.netgear.co.uk/digital_entertainer_eva700.php

I've had the homeplugs recommended to me by someone with 8 of the things all over his house. I'm unsure as to the success of the Netgear though, although atleast i can get it from PC World and take it back if "faulty" 😉

It interconnects with MCE 2005, but will it playback video recorded by Media Centre, and stream live TV?

Any thoughts warmly welcomed please.

tajw
Visitor

You may want to wait until Feb when the new media centre extenders hit the UK e.g Linksys DMA2100. I currently use an XBOX360 as an extender in kids room - but it is noisy as hell.

I use the Devolo 200 series power over internet set up - I get transfer rates of about 120-150 mbps. In my experience wireless ( even using pre-N) just can't cope with streaming TV and video.

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Hey tajw,

Thanks for responding. I've already had the AV style Devolo recommended to me, so it's good that you rate them too!

I've been offered a cheap original Xbox. If i buy the media centre software and DVD remote, and can put up with the noise (i'm in a noisy home bar, and not watching any mushy romance films!!) will this be a good way to go?

Would I need the 360 when I upgrade to Vista?

I probably need to be patient and wait for the MCE Extenders like you say though.

Cheers