Join now - be part of our community!

sony vaio vgn-cs31s microphone not working after windows 7 update

profile.country.sv_SE.title
rus1985
Visitor

sony vaio vgn-cs31s microphone not working after windows 7 update

Hello dear fellows,

I have sony vaio laptop, model vgn-cs31s. Originally, I bought this computer with windows vista preinstalled. After I formatted the laptop and installed windows 7 some of the hardware features of the computer started not to work. Namely, there is absolutely a problem with microphone. The computer has built in microphone, and it used to work well before formatting but now it is not working. Neither I am able to use skype with external microphone, such as with pluggable earphones. After windows 7 installation AV mode sound control feature of the computer became not working too. This AV mode sound control (or lets call media player control) which is located just on the keyboard is not working at all either. In order to solve these problems I installed all the necessary drivers from sony official website but even after installation of all the programs supplied on the website microphone and AV mode control are still not working. And I have gone through the online forms and discussions and have not been able to find helpful recommendations regarding these problems. I have also tried sound settings and microphone settings in computer but that try did not help either. So please, I would be very glad if someone helps me with these problems. I am sure many more people have the same problems. Please, write your recommendations and possible ways to solve these two obvious problems that I am so far aware of after windows 7 installation. Thank you all very much for your support!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have you tried enabling the microphone in control panel?

If not then, click on Control Panel. Click on Sound and then click on Recording Tab. Check if the microphone is enabled.

You say you installed all the drivers from the Sony download site for your model - were these just the drivers under the Windows 7 Tab?  I can't see a sound driver in that list.  Obviously all the required drivers are not there and this could be why other devices are not working and you will have to install some of the original Vista drivers from the Originally Installed Tab here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-CS31S_W

For the Audio Driver: -

1. Download the 'Audio Driver Realtek' for your sound card (Top of the list).
  2. Save the driver .ZIP file on your desktop or your preferred location.
  3. Right-click on the downloaded .ZIP file and choose "Extract All" to extract all the installation files.
  4. Right click on the Setup.EXE file and then click on properties.
  5. Click on the Compatibility tab on top.
  6. Under Compatibility mode, select the check box which reads as “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select Windows Vista in the drop down bar.
  7. Click apply, and then click ok.
  8. Now, double click on the driver Setup.EXE  file and install the driver.

:thinking: