Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio TT with built in HSDPA 3g Modem and Turkcell

willyhoops
Visitor

Sony Vaio TT with built in HSDPA 3g Modem and Turkcell

Please Help:

I have a MF622 HSDPA USB 3g Modem made by ZTE Corporation for Turkcell which works fine with all my laptops but now I just bought the Vaio TT with a built in modem.

How do I get it working with Turkcell?

For the USB Modem I run some Turkcell software but this software does not recognise the built in TT modem.

I have also tried the program "GlobeTrotter Connect" which just gives the message "The connection has failed. [0x84000011]" even though it has "Registered to TR TURKCELL" in the bottom status bar along with a good UMTS signal. Under settings it has User Name, Password and APN but I don't have any such details and they are blank.

Many Thanks,

William

4 REPLIES 4
willyhoops
Visitor

After 45 minutes looking around the internet I finally found the answer. You need the APN name. Globe trotter will try to guess this but if it can not you need to call up your provider and fill it in.

Here is the Globe Trotter Manual:

http://www.jazztelsemueve.com/imgs/internet_dudas/GUIA%20USUARIO%20PC.pdf

And for Turkcell in Northern Cyprus the APN name is:

internet.kktcell

After entering that it works fine. Super!!!

willyhoops
Visitor

I have one more question... I hate clutter and junk and have spent a few hours cleaning the machine...

However in the system tray I still have a DVD icon that allows me to turn the power to the DVD drive on or off.
Surely Windows manages power to DVD drives and I don't need this? I have never seen it on another machine...

Is it part of Vaio Power Managment and the only way I can remove it is to remove all that? Do I need Vaio Power Managment - it is really any better than the usual vista settings?

mannheimguitar
Visitor

Hey willyhoops

Glad to hear you got GlobeTrotter working. I got a TT myself running the machine with a Vodafone Sim Card.
I like clean machines myself and spent hours of getting rid of a lot of bloatware that the TT came with.

If I were you I would keep the DVD icon in the system tray running though. I was wondering myself what that was for, but its part of the power management even though I have never seen such a thing before and my drive is being connected and running at all times.

Unfortunately I deleted WebCam Companion 2 and before I noticed that I actually need this I had to find out the hard way that I could not recover it with the Vaio Recovery Software. Oh, well I bought Version 3 from Arcsoft since I did not want to reinstall my OS.

By the way, some Software Updates will not be shown on the Sony Support Site. By coincident I found out that Version 5.8.2 of Protector Suite QL has been released by Upek. This version works smoother than the previous one and even comes with an extra Personal Safe as well.

In another thread I was trying to set up a profile using WWAN in VAIO Smart Network. Maybe you can help me with that. The thread is called " Automatic 3G Connection via VAIO Smart Network and GlobeTrotter Connect".

Thanx in advance

willyhoops
Visitor

Now I have gone and downgraded my machine to XP! (Everyone hates VISTA)

I have run the diver install package and can see the modem OK. I have enabled in the the Wireless Setting utility and it has sprung up in Network Settings as Wireless Network 3.

But how to I get the thing to connect?

Do I need another program - I can not any GlobeTrotter app anywhere.

Many Thanks