Join now - be part of our community!

Solved: issue of not being able to create recovery media on VAIO Fit 15

profile.country.GB.title
PhilTromb
Explorer

Solved: issue of not being able to create recovery media on VAIO Fit 15

I just thought I would share my frustration about trying to create recovery media on my new VAIO Fit 15 (Model SVF1531C5E).  As many others have mentioned on this forum, it seems that on some models the VIAO Care Recovery software needed to create recovery media is not installed by default.  Neither is is possible to download it.  (An attempted update from within VAIO Care doesn't work; and there is no manual download option on the support page for my model either).  Sounds familiar, eh?

I e-mailed Sony Support (yes, my serial number was accepted, fortunately) and after a polite exchange over a few days I was faced with a request to do a full recovery to factory settings to resolve the 'software issue'.  A bit over the top, I think.

Well, after exploring the support pages for various VAIO models I noted that an update to VAIO Care Recovery is widely available; and where it does appear it is always the same software package.  It's called VAIO Care Recovery Updater and the filename is EP0000307234.zip.  Well, it was for the 10 or so models that I checked.  This seems logical, as the purpose of the software is presumably just to copy Win 8 / VAIO repair stuff and the contents of the HDD recovery partition to bootable recovery media - so it is likely to be generic in nature.  So, after coming to the conclusion that there was a good chance it would work and that I had nothing to lose, I downloaded (from the support page for the SVF1521A1EB model) and installed the package.  :worried:

The result: instant success. :thumbsup:

The update package installed fine - and after a restart I was right away able to use the Create Recovery Media function in VAIO Care.  I have since been able to create recovery media on a both a BD-R disc and also on a 32GB USB flash drive - both without a hitch.  I have also checked that my VAIO will read and boot from the media - and they both appear to work fine (though I didn't exercise them all the way to recovery, obviously).

Tip: USB flash drives have to be of the type that appear in Windows as a 'Removable Drive'.  Some brand/type USB drives present themselves as 'Fixed Disk' and these are not compatible with the VAIO software.  I used a Sony Micro Vault 32GB bought from Carphone Warehouse for £15 and it was fine.  I heard that some of the most recent SanDisk drives are problematic for VAIO Care.

So there you are.  This is what has worked for me - but obviously I can't know that it will work for everyone.  Good luck!

Now, at last, I can get on with using and enjoying my new VAIO, with the security of knowing that I have two means of recovery if disaster should strike.

Remark to Sony Support: why oh why have I had to do all this myself on a brand new machine?  Why was it not possible for you to include the Create Recovery Media function in the factory shipping standard of VAIO Care?  Even if that was not possible, why couldn't you provide the necessary update on the software download page for all VAIO models?  It seems that you have shipped some of the later VAIO models without really joining all the dots of the support service.  It's very disappointing and has really damaged my view of a company who I though had a legendary reputation for quality.

Kind regards,

Phil

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
jaytasker247
New

Hi I recently bought a Sony Vaio Tap 11 from ebay, the only problem is the seller had removed all the sony features and windows 8, he had installed windows 7 which I thought was odd, anyway I tried to uninstall windows 7 which I think I did but now I can only get the Assist menu, after trailing online I finally found the recovery media download for my model svt1121b2ew but when I try to load it it fails everytime. after reading your issues I have just ordered a 32 GB Sony Micro Vault 2.0 USB drive which I hope will help with the process as I was trying to use two different USB's both only 4GB and one of which was a Sandisk, plus not sure if they're 2.0 which I think is a requirement for the recovery to work???, I'm not a very technical person but hope this resolves the issue. When I contacted the seller he said that when he installed windows 7 he thinks he wiped everything else...so this is probabily my only option and I want the device fully restored to its factory state as I dont have anything on it as yet. If you have any advice I would be most grateful.

Jason