Join now - be part of our community!

Recovery Console Issue- "Cannot Use This Utility For Your Computer."

cosine
Visitor

Recovery Console Issue- "Cannot Use This Utility For Your Computer."

Hi all,

I have a Vaio TX2XP laptop which has failed on me this week due to a system error. Long story short, I'm trying to re-format Windows using my Vaio Recovery Disks, but I keep getting the same error message in a dialogue box, which reads: "Cannot use this utility for your computer. Confirm the model type." When I click OK (the only option) it reboots the laptop and I go around in a big circle again.

It doesn't seem to matter whether I get into the recovery console via the disks, via F10 or via the start menu, I still get the same error. I'm running Windows XP Pro, SP3 (but trying to format back to the original SP2 that came with the laptop). My BIOS is set to default settings.

Does anyone have any ideas why this error is occurring and what I can do to enable me to reformat?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi cosine and welcome.

You may need to contact Sony as there appears to be a mismatch between the Vaio Model Type in the BIOS and the Vaio Type in the Recovery Partition. What model is shown in the BIOS?

This seems to happen rarely and is most likely to have been a fault when the Vaio was bought so Sony should accept some responsibility.

Your alternatives are: -

1. Contact Sony Support and ask advice.
2. Borrow a full copy of XP Pro installer disc and run a 'Repair' install to fix any system problems in situ. You do not need the Product Key - just to borrow a disc.
3. Reinstal a retail copy of XP. You will need one with a valid Product Key and to download the Drivers and Utilities from Vaio Support.

These options assume your hard drive is OK and not damaged.

:slight_frown:

cosine
Visitor

Thanks for the input, Blencogo.

I've checked the BIOS and I can't see that it says the model type in there anywhere- the machine name and serial number sections are blank. I've tried repairing Windows with an XP disk, and nothing happens- the laptop just re-boots instead. I can do a re-install but was just hoping to avoid the hassle of re-installing all the drivers & utilities. Oh well!

I'll contact Sony support about the issue, as you suggested. My laptop was sent back to them under warranty for a motherboard replacement last year so I'm wondering if they messed something up when they repaired it. :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Sounds like the replacement motherboard CMOS chip does not have the neccessary model type encoded.

Talk to Sony.

:slight_frown: