Join now - be part of our community!

"No Audio Device Installed" Error with Sigmatel High-Def Audio Codec soundcard.

Murderoticadam
Visitor

"No Audio Device Installed" Error with Sigmatel High-Def Audio Codec soundcard.

Edit: This error has now been fixed, I updated the thread for those with a similar issue.

I purchased the Vaio VGN-SZ5VWN/X on monday, and have been fiddling around with it for a few days to get it as I like it, installing Microsoft updates and whatnot.

Since the update I have not been able to get my sound to work - on the volume notification icon there is a little red "x" on top of it, almost as if the volume is muted.
When you mouseover the icon it says "No Audio Device Installed" - Great fun, it worked before!
My logic told me to uninstall the driver, and reboot - DO NOT do this.
After doing that, Microsoft found a compatible driver from the internet.. it made the sound work however removed my Volume, Network and Power notification icons from the notification area.

Any help that can be provided on this issue?

Thanks,
Adam

Edit: To fix this issue if you are running the Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec, please read post #3 on this thread and follow the link to download the updated post-windows update driver.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Adam and welcome to Club Vaio.

What exactly have you done? The Vista Upgrade disc is to change the Vista Operating System on your Vaio. Have you intentionally installed Vista Ultimate? Sony do not support Vista Ultimate on your Vaio so there is no guarantee that the drivers and utilities will work - in any event you will need to reinstall them all.

Unless you need to have Vista Ultimate you are going to be better off with the supported Operating System.

:thinking:

Murderoticadam
Visitor

Hi there,
Nope I didn't install vista ultimate, I popped the disc in to upgrade the version of vista i had preinstalled on the laptop to the fully-functioning version of vista business on the disc, or so i am lead to believe.
After some searching on the internet I found the problem to be with a Microsoft auto-update that has conflicted with the Sigmatel drivers installed on the machine.

I found an official Sigmatel driver for Vista on DriverGuide for the post-patch conflict and now my audio works fine.

Thanks for the help, and the welcome.

For others experiencing the "No Audio Hardware Device Installed" error, I found the driver here:
DriverGuide

Driver name: SigmaTel High Defininition Audio CODEC Driver

You may find that for future ref this doesn't work, the next bit is simple:
Go to Control Panel
Programs and Features

Then Uninstall the program called "Sigmatel Audio" - this is the remnants of the original driver installed that conflicts since the microsoft update.

Hope this helps anyone else tearing their hair out with this error.
It would seem this affects any machine running the Sigmatel High-Definition Audio Codec sound card.

Thanks,
Adam