Join now - be part of our community!

P1 & P2 function button problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

P1 & P2 function button problem

Gentlemen,

I had this problem once before and the Forum helped solve for me - I apologise but cannot locate the solution then provided.

My problem is with the P1 and P2 function buttons on my laptop. The P1 button is programmed to Mute the volume and the P2 button is programmed to Hibernate the computer.

Although correctly set up via Control Panel>Sony Notebook Setup>PI & P2 tab, neither of the buttons are operable.

I seem to remember that I was shown how to correct this problem via a registry modification.

I suspect that some registry 'cleaner' has upset the setting but maybe wrong.

Very grateful if someone is able to help or remind what the solution was, thank you. (promise to not to mislay this time).

Regards,

gyron

15 REPLIES 15
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Sincere apologies for delayed reply to your last mail/recommendation.

I did what you suggested (running setup exe from within the Sony shared library and then the hotkey utilities in that order), and that has done the trick - the laptop auto reboots during the setup exe/shared library from the CD.

What I didn't tell you while you were trying to sort my laptop out (did not what to confuse the situation), is that my wife had exactly the same problem on her Vaio VGN-FE31H! Following the lead you provided via Internet link I eventually found that in her case the 'Event Service Utility' had been switched off! Switching it to Auto solved her problem.

I realise that it is not 'good form' to discuss third part software on the Forum but we do have two well third party software packages that might have caused the problem.

Thank you again Rich for your invaluable help which, as always, was much appreciated.

Regards,

Gyron

gyron1
Explorer

ps. just out of interest, I have noticed that I don't have the 'Vaio Event Service Utility' present in my

'services.msc' list at all. Should I install/reinstall from my original discs if it is there?

Interesting what has, maybe, erased these files from my laptop.

regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

I’m pleased to hear that the problem is resolved:smileyhappy:

If you are using a utility such as TuneUp this is more than likely the culprit. I am aware that one ‘ex’ expert of this forum thought this program was the answer to everything but, in my opinion, it creates more problems than it solves. I recommend that you use the built-in Windows defrag utility and just occasionally a simple Registry checker such as Registry Mechanic.

I don’t think your model uses Vaio Event Service as it has the HotKey utility. If all is working as expected then just relax and enjoy.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Yes, you guessed correctly, the utility I was referring to was indeed TuneUp. Since upgrading to the 2012 version I seem to have had nothing but problems and I am afraid that their customer care is extremely poor and slow in my opinion. I guess I now either have to disable the utility or remove it from my hard drive!

I do use the built in Windows defrag and disc cleanup uilities and take your advice regarding Registry Mechanic.

Out of interest, what is the opinion regarding the use of 'CCleaner' now and again?

Thanks again Rich, good 'talking' with you.

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

I haven’t used CCCleaner for some years but I never encounter any problems when using it and from memory the Registry Cleaner worked well. Also, again from memory, I believe it has a roll back facility which is a great plus.

I am uncertain as to whether any new features have been added in the intervening years but as with all such programs I would advise against running any of the ‘so called’ automated system optimisation tools. In my experience these make decisions for you without first detailing actions that will be taken and asking for your confirmation.

There are plenty of free utilities out there for simple registry cleaning that are equal to or better than TuneUp and hopefully should need no support.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Thank you for your advice and comments, always greatly appreciated.

As I said previously, all I now have to do now (I think), is to 'bite the bullet' and delete TuneUp after just renewing.

Thanks again for all your help,

Regards,

Gyron