Join now - be part of our community!

Overheated VGN-FZ21Z

Dahlia3
Visitor

Overheated VGN-FZ21Z

Last night something absolutely tragic happened to my laptop.

I was using it as per usual and quite suddenly it completely turned off - as if the power had been cut. I picked it up to find that it was extremely hot and so I took it outside to let it cool for a while. When it was back to cool to the touch, I tried to turn it on - with the battery, without the battery, with power supply + battery -- Absolutely nothing. It seems to have burnt out completely.

Now I'm devastated because, as a University student, I can't survive without a laptop. Luckily I have all my files/photos backed up on a harddrive (except for the past 5 weeks within which I haven't had a chance to do a backup which means I do have work on there that I don't have backed up). It's lasted me just over 2 years to date and it died so suddenly, I'm struggling to recover from the shock.

I phoned the Sony Repair centre who gave me a case ID, after talking me through trying to turn it on for quarter of an hour (at 35p per minute) -- even though I started by pointing out that it would not turn on/respond to anything. They transferred my case to another Sony repair service who are supposed to call me within 24 hours.

I think what I'm most worried about now is the cost of the repair and the time it'll take to get it fixed. Obviously the warranty is over, but I don't feel I should pay for fixing it when evidently it had some kind of fault/problem.

I guess I'm just saying it on here because I'd love it if someone could advise me on the repair service/the company's policy on extending warranties due to faults.

Many thanks for reading,
Distressed, laptopless student.

0 REPLIES 0