Join now - be part of our community!

Not getting Globetrotter built-in 3G to work on Vaio (with Windows 7)

profile.country.da_DK.title
ronniwenzell
Visitor

Not getting Globetrotter built-in 3G to work on Vaio (with Windows 7)

Hi all!

I've spent something around a couple of days trying to figure out a way to solve my problem ... I need help...

I have a Sony Vaio TT21WN/B which I've now upgraded to Windows 7. Everything seems to work just fine EXCEPT getting the Globetrotter built-in 3G to work.

I've tried to use the driver from vaio-link's ftp (for a TT21WN/B with Windows 7): http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=da_DK&m=VGN-TT21WN_B&os=10

I've tried to use the driver from OPTION's own website: http://www.option.com/en/support/software-download/embedded-mobile-broadband/gtm382w/

I've installed VAIO's Smart Connect, through which shows light in the WWAN field (I can't seem to turn it off, though).

I've tried to use the newest version of Globetrotter Connect v3.1, but it says that "Device not found".

I can't locate any device problems in the Windows7's Device Manager.
I can't even find the device in the Device Manager.

I've tried to search for a device, but Windows 7 can't find any unregistred/uninstalled devices.

It seems (on internet discussion rooms) that some drivers work with some connection-programs (in Windows 7) while others work with other programs (in Windows 7), though the posts are also quite old and both Vaio-link and Option provides drivers for Windows 7 (which I've tried).

I wondered if it was the fact that I was missing the Sony's Everywair program - but I can't find and download it anywhere on the internet.

I've also tried to put a sim-card in the modem, but that didn't change anything.

I can't seem to uninstall the Global Connect through the Add/Remove Programs in Windows. Nor does the program-folder contain an uninstall-file. And I can't change the driver as well, as I can't find it in the Device Manager.

I have no idea what to try or what to think of. Any suggestion is welcome and I will try it all! I really just want it to work! THANK YOU for your time and effort!!

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry I don't know an easy fix but I have a few suggestions.

Have you made a clean install of Windows 7 or did you run an upgrade?

32-bit or 64-bit?

Have you reinstalled ALL the Sony drivers and utilities or have you been selective?

Is the version of Vaio Smart Network you installed a Windows 7 version?

Have you tried installing the generic 'Everywair' WWAN Driver and WWAN Connection Manager for Windows 7 from something like a Z-Series - you can find them here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-Z4&os=10

Scroll down towards the bottom!!

:thinking:

ronniwenzell
Visitor

Thanks for your reply, Blencogo.
Since last post, my computer has suddenly acknowledged my 3G modem as a "GlobeTrotter MO40x".

That's great - though:

a) I'm not sure if this is actually correct. Is it possible to find out somehow, somewhere? (My computer is a VAIO TT21WN/B).

b) I can now turn it off (in the Smart Connect panel) but I can't turn it on again. And when it's turned on, I can't log on a net with my sim-card (even though the card is being registred correctly and it automatically found the APN on it's own

It seems to me as if the driver is not correct - or?

Any ideas?

Blencogo > To answer your questions:
¤  I did a clean installation of Windows 7

¤  It's 32 bit

¤  I've installed ALL Sony drivers, but been selective with the utilities.

¤  I'm not sure if my Smart Network is a Windows 7-version. How do I check that? It's version 2.3.0.20100, if that says anything?

¤  I have not installed the WWAN Driver and WWAN Connection Manager for Windows 7 from the Z-Series in order to keep things as "straight" and "correctly" as possible. They told me (when calling to Sony Shop) that it should work with just connectiong through the Windows' Connection Manager

Thanks!!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

What WWAN driver do you have installed - there is not one listed in the ftp link you used for Windows 7 here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=da_DK&m=VGN-TT21WN_B&os=10

If there is no Windows 7 Driver, you need to install the Vista WWAN driver supplied for your model from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=da_DK&m=VGN-TT21WN_B

You need to scroll to the last two drivers - Wireless WAN Driver and WWAN connection Manager. These are the correct driver and connection manager for your model and modem.

Try downloading and installing BOTH of these.  I would not try any other driver or connection manager - I am not sure you have received accurate advice from the Sony shop!!!

You need to install some of the Utilities starting 7UPG_ from the first link above.  You need: -

1. 7UPG_Sony SharedLibrary

2. Setting Utility Series

3. 7UPG_Vaio Event Service

4. 7UPG_VAIO Smart Network

:wink:

Message was edited by: Blencogo

ronniwenzell
Visitor

Thanks, Blencogo.

I'm not sure what WWAN driver I had installed, but as the zip-folder you asked me to install didn't have a setup-file to install the WWAN driver, I deleted the driver I had installed (through Windows' Device Manager) and installed the WWAN driver + WWAN connection manager for Vista (as you suggested). Before rebooting I noticed that the new driver gave the modem the same name as before ("GlobeTrotter MO40x").

I rebooted and my computer hung (with black screen). My only way out was to press in the power bottom. I turned it on again and everything was fine - though the WWAN modem is gone from Windows' "device manager". It's turned off in VAIO's Smart Connect, but I can't turn it on.

I downloaded the utilities as well (though I'm quite sure, they're all already installed. But just in case..).

I installed them all (and when asked, I removed previous installations and install them again). I also rebooted when I was asked to.

First the Setting Utility Series came up with: "Previous version of Setting Utility Series is not installed. Upgrade will be canceled." But I succeeded in installing after uninstalling and re-installing the previous version of Setting Utility Series (which I guess the upgrade was referring to).

Now - still no sign of the modem. When I rebooted, VAIO's Smart Network (floating windows) showed light in the WWAN area, but that turned itself off after some seconds - whatever that means??
Hmmm...... Still lost in VAIO land.

PS. I really appreciate your time and effort to help me!!

profile.country.it_IT.title
lobster7
Visitor

I have the same identycal problem..

Any solution ?

Thanks

ronniwenzell
Visitor

Hi Lobster7.
I'm afraid, I've given up. Nothing solved my problem. I even called vaio support, but they couldn't really do anything about it... Not really helpful... So.... Let me know if you find a solution!!!!

Best, Ronni

profile.country.en_GB.title
robskijohnston
Visitor

Hi all, same boat here too, spent the best part of a week getting nowhere. I had a similar problem with a Dell XPS too and finally cracked it when I got the right driver combination so I'm not without hope.

At the moment I have the globetrotter connection installed + all the vaio drivers/utils and nothing else. When I start globetrotter up it says "device not found". Now if I turn off wireless using the slider and turn it back on globetrotter will on occasion pick-up the card. If it does and finds the carrier I can connect. However this doesn't give me link to the Internet as something isn't right with the IPs.

Clicking the green square in smart network will always result in a disconnection (as I guess it's suppsed to do) but I can't restart it without resorting to using the slider to turn the wireless off and on again.

Also the two smart monitors don't match indicators for WWAN, see attached.

Any help would be appreciated from any vaio tt experts.

Thanks, Rob.

robskijohnston
Visitor

Some success, I can now connect via WWAN, oddly the connection shows as a LAN when connected....

On reboot I alsways need to turn the wireless switch off and on again.

So I got to this postion by doing a clean install, the installing the vaio 7UPG software, except for smart network which I used the one from http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/info/en/EP0000229020.htm.

I went direct to the option website and downloaded the connection software (not the drivers) from there.

I did try the option dirvers from thier website with the updated Smart Network and while the connection did show up as mobile broadband it never actaully connected.

Hope this helps, Rob

johcalla7
Visitor

See atached file, hpe it helps, it helped me.