Join now - be part of our community!

My Sony Vaio will not detect external monitor!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
nickohorny
Visitor

My Sony Vaio will not detect external monitor!

Hi everyone, having a nightmare with my sony vaio laptop - installed windows 7 on it recently, I am trying to simply conect an external monitor to it as I need more space.

I have a VAIO CGN-BX296VP model.

Really not sure what to do?! Is there some driver I need to download? if so where from? I went to the support page on this site for my model but there is not anything I see which I need?

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately, Sony do not support Windows 7 on your model and Intel do not support your GMA 900 Graphics with a driver for Vista or Windows 7.  I think you can get some graphics functionality by installing the XP Driver, as it is the only one available, but you will not have full functionality and Aero is not supported.  This may be your problem.

What graphics driver do you have installed?

Have you installed the Utilities provided for Vista (as there are none for Win 7)?  This will enable you to use the Function key (Fn+F7) to switch output to an external monitor.

Try installing: -

Sony Utils DLL

SonyShared Library

Setting Utility Series

Vaio Event Service

from the VISTA latest downloads here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-BX296VP/updates

Sadly, I think you may have to accept that your BX296VP will only work fully with XP installed as the Intel GMA 900 graphics chip is considered too old and too low spec to run Windows 7.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
nickohorny
Visitor

Can anyone help :slight_frown: Still trying to work out why it's not working...

nikkilim
Visitor

Hi. Open up device manager. See if you can see any "yellow question mark" on it. That's the driver that's missing and needs to be installed. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately, Sony do not support Windows 7 on your model and Intel do not support your GMA 900 Graphics with a driver for Vista or Windows 7.  I think you can get some graphics functionality by installing the XP Driver, as it is the only one available, but you will not have full functionality and Aero is not supported.  This may be your problem.

What graphics driver do you have installed?

Have you installed the Utilities provided for Vista (as there are none for Win 7)?  This will enable you to use the Function key (Fn+F7) to switch output to an external monitor.

Try installing: -

Sony Utils DLL

SonyShared Library

Setting Utility Series

Vaio Event Service

from the VISTA latest downloads here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-BX296VP/updates

Sadly, I think you may have to accept that your BX296VP will only work fully with XP installed as the Intel GMA 900 graphics chip is considered too old and too low spec to run Windows 7.

:thinking: