Join now - be part of our community!

laptop only works when charger is plugged in constantly...why

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
debs2012
Visitor

laptop only works when charger is plugged in constantly...why

Hi now i have a new problem, the battery icon shows fully charged so i unplug the charger and within minutes the computer  dies. but with it plugged in its fine. has the battery expired... to be fair this laptop is several years old and was stored without being used for a while  and was given to me by my son.( model VGN-AR5IE)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sadly it sounds like your battery is dead.

To be honest the battery didn't last for long on the AR-Series anyway as it's a big laptop with a small battery.  Most people use these models as a desktop replacement.  I have an older VGN-AR31S which is great as long as it stays on the desk!  My battery has also died but I doubt if I will replace it and will just use it plugged in.

If you decide to replace it, try to get a genuine Sony battery.  There are lots of cheap imports from the far east which may be a false economy as they may not work.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VGP-BPS2C-Laptop-battery-standard/dp/B000ES2XFS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computer...

:wink:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sadly it sounds like your battery is dead.

To be honest the battery didn't last for long on the AR-Series anyway as it's a big laptop with a small battery.  Most people use these models as a desktop replacement.  I have an older VGN-AR31S which is great as long as it stays on the desk!  My battery has also died but I doubt if I will replace it and will just use it plugged in.

If you decide to replace it, try to get a genuine Sony battery.  There are lots of cheap imports from the far east which may be a false economy as they may not work.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VGP-BPS2C-Laptop-battery-standard/dp/B000ES2XFS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computer...

:wink:

debs2012
Visitor

Thanks for that info ...dont think i'll bother buying a new battery as i use it like a desktop too!:smileymischief:... just glad to have 2 computers in the house now:smileyhappy: as there was a constant rush home before my daughter got on there first and claimed it!! arguments... arguments... lol 

gazawee
Visitor

faulty connection or battery