Join now - be part of our community!

Laptop crashes when lid is closed

profile.country.GB.title
rs_jones
New

Laptop crashes when lid is closed

Hey all,

I seem to have a bit of strange problem with my Sony Vaio VPCF11JOE that I've scoured the internet for and can't seem to find a solution. I've seen a lot of people talk about crashing problems when they start up their computer but few discussing the computer crashing when it's put into sleep mode.

Here's the story:

I've had my laptop going on... let's say 5 or 6 years now. For the last year or so if I closed the laptop lid when it was still awake (which should - and used to - put my computer into sleep mode) the power light would stay green for quite a while rather than turning orange, at which point the laptop becomes completely unresponsive, and if left alone the computer would just turn off without going into sleep mode. When turned back on the screen would read 'your computer was not switched off properly, would you like to start it in safe mode or start windows normally'. The problem was very temperamenal since sometimes it would work perfectly and others it would crash.

So about a month ago I changed over from an HDD to an SSD, doing a complete clean install of windows and the Sony drivers, and the computer has been perfectly fine. No crashes whatsoever. That is until yesterday. I closed my lid and came back five minutes later to find that it had crashed. In total my laptop crashed three times yesterday. Of course being the temperamental problem that it is, It seems fine today. The thing is, I don't think this is a problem to do with putting it into sleep mode because when I go to Start and put it in sleep mode from there rather than just shutting the lid, my computer is fine. I don't know if this is a driver problem, a hardware problem or something else.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 REPLIES 0