Join now - be part of our community!

i would like to change my hard disk to install win xp can i buy a ide or sata, what is best option

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jamdown2010
Explorer

i would like to change my hard disk to install win xp can i buy a ide or sata, what is best option

hi guys i

am not getting on very well with win 7, i have  win xp professional 64 bit, and i would like to install it on a complete new disc, my current arrangement is a 500 sata. is it best to buy a ide 500g of 500g sata?

i am not sure if ide will fit if i remove the current sata, and dont know if xp can be installed on a sata drive.

my notebook is a VPCEE3zoe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jamdown2010,

You will need to buy a SATA drive as the connectors on an IDE driver are different.

XP can be installed on a SATA drive. The only problem is that XP doesn’t provide drivers for most SATA controllers.

This can be overcome by either the use of a floppy drive or integrating the drivers in the installation package.

Have a look at the following link for details.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jamdown2010,

You will need to buy a SATA drive as the connectors on an IDE driver are different.

XP can be installed on a SATA drive. The only problem is that XP doesn’t provide drivers for most SATA controllers.

This can be overcome by either the use of a floppy drive or integrating the drivers in the installation package.

Have a look at the following link for details.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
jamdown2010
Explorer

Thanks Rich

I have bookmarked the link to use when i get the new disc.

Thanks very much

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome jamdown2010 and good luck.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat