Join now - be part of our community!

I keep getting the blue screen of death

profile.country.en_GB.title
harry.martin
Visitor

I keep getting the blue screen of death

Every couple of days my Sony Vaio VPCEF2E1E will just freeze and then flick to the blue screen saying something about checking memory dump.  I have tried running a system check on the hard drive which didn't find anything. Is there anything I can do its only a month old!!

8 REPLIES 8
ravbhagd
Visitor

I have same problem!  I bought this laptop few months ago, does exactly as you describe.  Randomly reboots on its own without any warning. 

I have already sent it for repair 3 times now and it is still doing it.  They keep sending me in circles.  Also they ask everytime to include the power adaptor then send the laptop back without the adaptor!  Sony sucks so much!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Can you give us the error information on the Blue Screen - this is the only way to try to pinpoint the problem?

If you cannot read the screen because it disappears too quickly, turn off the automatic re-boot temporarily.  You will have to shut down by holding the Power Key after reading the blue screen: -

1. Click Start button.

2. From Start menu Click Control panel.

3. In Control Panel Click the System icon.

4. In the System Window look on the Left hand side of the window and you will see a list of options. Click on the Advanced System Settings option.

5. Because Computer management requires administrative privileges you may find the User Account Control will pop up. If it does then enter the required information (if you are not the administrator) or, if you are the administrator, click the Continue button.

6. In the Advanced Settings window look for the Startup and Recovery section and then Click the Settings button.

7. In the Startup and recovery window look for the section marked System failure and remove the 'tick' mark from the 'Automatically Restart' option. Now press the OK button.

8. Finally click the OK button on the System properties Window and then close the system window.

:wink:

harry.martin
Visitor

thank you, I will let you know as soon as it does it again!

harry.martin
Visitor

Hello Blencogo, I have just had another blue error screen, this is what it said:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this screen,restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Run a sytem diagnostic utililty supplied by your hardware manufacturer.  In particular run a memory check and check for faulty or mismatched memory.  Try changing video adapters.

Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers.  Disable or remove any newly installed software.  If you need to use safemode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options and select safe mode.

Technical Information:

**STOP:  0X0000007F  (0X0000000000000008, 0X000000000080050033, 0X00000000000006F8, 0XFFFFF8000303DEC8)

I did run a system memory check a little while ago but it said it hadn't found anything and I haven't installed much new software over the past couple of weeks except when I first received the laptop.

What would you suggest?

Thanks very much,

Harry

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Harry,

Unfortunately, it is not a common error message and indicates a system stack error probably associated with ntkrnlmp.exe.  There is apparently no simple fix, so you may need to contact Vaio Support if the problem persists.

Do you have anything connected by USB or Firewire at the time?

What are you doing or is it totally random?

Is your Vaio fully up to date with Microsoft and Sony Updates?

Have you tried re-seating the memory modules?

Sony will probably ask you to carry out a complete system restore back to factory condition and then reinstall the updated drivers and MS Updates - so make sure you have everything backed up.

:slight_frown:

harry.martin
Visitor

I didn't have any USB device connected, some of the time it occurs while I am watching videos but not always.  It appears to be random.  The system is fully up to date with everything according to Sony update.

How do I re-seat the memory modules?

Thank you so much so far.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have a look at Pages 87 to 91 of your User Guide: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/Notebooks/VPCEE/VPCEE_H_EN.pdf

:wink:

James-Whitehouse
Visitor

I did the reset back to factory settings and it wouldnt let me back up on my external hard drive, i then reseted (cause im stupid) and now i just have a blank screen with text saying "Operating system not found" what can i do? :slight_frown: