Join now - be part of our community!

HOW TO SAFELY UNINSTALL UNWANTED SECURITY TRIAL SOFTWARE

london_09
Visitor

HOW TO SAFELY UNINSTALL UNWANTED SECURITY TRIAL SOFTWARE

Hi, I imagine someone has already posted on this but the search box doesn’t seem to be working. So here goes.

I recently bought a new Sony Vaio which came loaded with a whole bunch of annoying, so-called freeware, including not one, but two brands of trial security software Norton AND McAfee. I originally uninstalled McAfee and installed another brand of software – Kaspersky which I paid for (hey, trial software is not free software; it’s just free advertising for McAfee...).

I’m not sure if it was a software incompatibility issue between virus software, but even though I followed the instructions; my computer soon afterwards displayed the terminal Blue Screen of Death (aka BSOD). Ultimately I had to do a factory restore resulting in hours of angst and wasted time. I’m not sure why Sony is so intent on loading its computers with this junk – sure, they get cash for their deals, but when your brand new computer screen dies it doesn’t reflect well on Sony. In fact, a consumer may well think that next time around they may go elsewhere.... (Sony, I hope you are listening.)

So, I have heard that the best way to uninstall the trial anti-virus software is to go to the manufacturer’s actual website and download a tool or something that cleans the whole thing up. I can’t seem to find that link and obviously I don’t want to use the wrong one given what happened last time.

So, I'm hoping can someone – preferably Sony – please provide me with information and a link for both McAfee and Norton as I never want to see the BSOD again.

Thanks! 🙂

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi london_09,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Try this..

For Norton you can download and run the Norton Removal Tool, use the following link to download: the Norton Removal Tool ..

For McAfee you can download and run the MaCafee Removal too, use the following link to download: the McAfee Removal Tool

I'm hoping can someone – preferably Sony – please provide me with information

FYI this is a Vaio users forum, Sony do not usually post in here.. :wink: