Join now - be part of our community!

help please Sony Viao VPCEC1M1E

fireguy1978
Explorer

help please Sony Viao VPCEC1M1E

Hello,

I have upgraded to windows 8 from 7 I ran the compatibility wizard it said my graphics card would need an update after install which would be available through windows, guess what? no update, my laptop is some 4 yrs old now so nothing forthcoming on Sony, can somebody point me in the right direction as so a solution.

Many thanks

Bob

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Bob,

As I'm sure you are aware, Sony does not support Windows 8 on your model.  The situation is made more difficult because Sony moved to nVidia graphics at about the time Windows 8 was released, so most updated drivers for Windows 8 are for those graphics chips.

All I can suggest, at your own risk, is to try to install the Windows 8 AMD Driver Ver 9.1.0.0 which was released in December 2012 for some Vaio models with switchable graphics.  I don't know if it will install on your Vaio model but it may be worth a try.

You can find the driver on the downloads page for the VPCSE1S9E which has a newer AMD graphics chip but we can hope it is a generic driver for all AMD graphics using Windows 8.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCSE1S9E_B/updates

Look under 'Latest Downloads -> Windows 8 -> Driver' for it.

If this fails to install, come back as there are some more complex possibilities.

:thinking:

fireguy1978
Explorer

Hi there,

Thanks so much for at least replying,

I will indeed try your suggestion and will get back to you.

kindest regards

Bob

fireguy1978
Explorer

Hi there,

my apologies for such a long term reply, things on the family front suddenly went in to overdrive.

I am downloading the driver as we speak will let you know how it goes?

Just to say thanks again for at least pointing me to a possible solution.

Best regards

Bob 

fireguy1978
Explorer

Hello again,

sorry to say it did not work, it seemed to install with no error messages I restarted my laptop but  still getting the annoying messages popping up, never mind it was worth a try.

once again many thanks.

Bob