Join now - be part of our community!

Have others the same experience?

profile.country.sv_GB.title
BjornKle
Visitor

Have others the same experience?

To have a very good laptop during an international journey of 4 month I decided to invest in one of Sonys most powerful laptops, VAIO VPCZ12Z9E. It is equipped with 4 flash disks, SSD, in a Raid 0 configuration. I was of the impression that such a configuration would give maximum of security for disk errors. I was very satisfied with the performance and functionality of my new computer but after a month usage I got some indication of SSD-failures. It started with one of the 4 SSDs and there was no problem to reset the failure and bring the computer back in good operation. Then I got indication of failure on 2 SSDs. Even that was possible to reset due to the Raid 0 configuration. A week later I got failure on 3 SSDs and it resulted in a total system crash impossible to recover from. In contact with Sony support I was informed that I could get service only in Europe because it was a European (Swedish) OS on the computer. I was stuck with an unusable laptop until I return to my home country.

Are there others that have similar experience with SSDs?  From my experience, I like to warn for using VAIOs equipped with SSD disks. They are not reliable enough to use for longer periods and you need to always have an image backup procedure that makes it possible to reformat all the disks and make a restore preferable from an USB memory with enough capacity.

Bjorn

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.ro_RO.title
paffypower
Visitor

I have the same problem with VPCSA, I sent the laptop 2 times to repair center and they sent it back with the same problem!!!!!

profile.country.pt_PT.title
correia.al
Visitor

How did you reset?

profile.country.en_GB.title
celavey
Visitor

Similar case before and had it fixed by the Tech team.