Join now - be part of our community!

Hard Drive Replacement

achimota62
Explorer

Hard Drive Replacement

My computer is an old Sony Vaio Model PCG-7D1M, I am rather ancient as well, but it does all I require. However I did leave it unattended and someone who must have been desperate removed its hard drive. Fortunately there is nothing of any importance on it. What I would like to know is information on the type/number of it so that I can replace it. Can anyone help? Thank you. 

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi achimato62,

You are quoting the chassis reference which can be common to several models but I think you may have a VGN-FS series - have a look on the screen surround (normally bottom right) or on a sticker on the underside for the correct product number.

If it is an FS series then the HDD will probably be an IDE/PATA drive (as opposed to SATA). The form size will be 2.5" x 9.5mm - any brand will work. Original capacity was probably 80GB. Once upon a time Sony Support supplied a detailed specification for each Vaio model but alas no more. If you take the notebook along to a local PC/repair shop they will be able to confirm whether it is a PATA or SATA drive from the type of connector.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
achimota62
Explorer

Many thanks for your help. It is a FS315E? and I have replaced the hard drive now. I have one snag which you could help me with, I hope!. All seems to be working OK but I have no sound.? With the original HD having been removed was there something on it that now needs replacing?
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Many thanks.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Doug.?
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Doug,

You haven’t said which operating system you are running but you need to install the audio driver. If you are running XP you also first need to install the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver (KB835221) – both of which you will find in the original drivers package….

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-comp/Preinstalled_Drivers_HD_2109/VGN-FS315E

If you are using a different OS then check the Support site for the relevant audio driver.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FS315E

You may find that there are a number of drivers and utilities that need installing to return functionality of Fn keys etc. I suggest that you check Device Manager for any warning symbols. Let us know if you need any further advice on any problem you may find.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
achimota62
Explorer

Hi Rich,
?????????????? Thank you for your fast reply. My apologies for not stating the operating system but I am not to wise in the way of computers. I only know how to operate this one for Skype,e-mails and Office. My excuse is being 88 yrs this modern technology is a little beyond me.
I have tried the web site you mentioned and downloaded the Vaio Update 5.1.1.04090?but that did not do the trick so I tried to download the Vaio Edit components? but was informed "cannot set up program as not compatable? and video card 7.0/7.1 missing" The hard drive that was obtained to replace the stolen one has Windows 7 on it and not the XP that was on the other drive. Sorry to cause you all this bother,perhaps I might be better getting another lap top.
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Doug
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Doug,

Sony, understandably given the age of the machine, provides virtually no support for Windows 7. However, they do provide a Realtek Audio Driver for Vista and there is a fair chance that this will work with WIN 7. Give it a try but if it fails to work then we may be able to find a compatible Win 7 driver so don’t give up on what is obviously a machine that serves you well.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-comp/REDAUD-00733504-UN_2754/VGN-FS315E

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat