Join now - be part of our community!

GAMES EXPERT NEEDED! Directx help help help help

jonbird77
Visitor

GAMES EXPERT NEEDED! Directx help help help help

Hey anyone,

I'm sad :slight_frown: .

I've recently bought a new vaio (VGN-N11H) which looks great and works superbly, but.........unfortunately i've recently bought several new games (Rainbow 6, Full Spectrum Warrior) and once i've downloaded them i get various errors about direct x and direct 3d.

Iv'e down loaded the latest patch but im still having problems and can't play any of the latest games - pretty annoyed to be honest?

Please can anyone help ??

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jonbird77 and welcome to Club Vaio.

Try running the DirectX diagnostics tool and look through the tabs for errors.

Start -> Run -> and type in dxdiag and press enter.

:wink:

EDIT: I would also check on the Game's website that your Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 is supported. I know the Intel chipsets were not supported in earlier releases of Rainbow 6.

:thinking:

jonbird77
Visitor

Thanks for the help!

I've done the diag test and got the following message:

test failed at step 8 (creating 3D device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

What the hell does that mean?

Please.help me keep the faith!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jonbird77,

You will have to wait for a 'games' expert to come along.

The only thing I can think of is to reduce the colour depth to 16 bit and lower the screen resolution and see if it then works.

Some OpenGL games attempt to run at the default screen resolution and colour depth - some graphics adapters can only run 3D successfully at 16 bit colour depth.

:thinking:

jonbird77
Visitor

Ok - thnx for your help!

Resonate
Visitor

Hi JonBird77,

Unfortunately the Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family (Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset which your VGN-N11H has do not Support Certain games such as Rainbow 6 & most new advanced games coming out at the moment. You will find your System will over perform on all areas so in THEORY these games should play there asses off However, this is not the case as the Chipset lacks one Very important component which enables Video HW Transform & Lighting with out this support new games such as Rainbow 6 will not play. You must be careful as on the box of games i don't think they supply this small but important note.

jonbird77
Visitor

Wow, thankd for the quick help!

In short, does that mean that i should look for games that do not have a min requirmenr of direct x ver 9?

Sorry to be a pain!

If that's the case can you recommend a good shoot-em-up that should work?

Resonate
Visitor

Wow, thankd for the quick help!
In short, does that mean that i should look for games that do not have a min requirmenr of direct x ver 9?
Sorry to be a pain!
If that's the case can you recommend a good shoot-em-up that should work?

No not at all your System can handle Direct9 onwards but not past Direct 10 as that is VISTA Territory. It is games that need support for Video HW Transform & Lighting. I am yet to find a game which states this. If you look on the WebSite for these games like EA for instance they have set up System Labs were you download & scan your System not all Websites have these but it will stop you being caught like a fish in a net on buying some games

Here have a look at the EA version of the SCANNER

Resonate
Visitor

Here is the Main basic list of att. which the Chipset mainly uses around playing Games

Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Supports the following attributes:

Video RAM (128MB)
Video Card 3D Acceleration
Video HW Rasterization
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 1.1 (INTEL CHIPSET Version 2.0)

NOT Supported:

Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 1.0 (INTEL CHIPSET Version 0.0)
Video HW Transform & Lighting